Displaying labels on the backlog

Shannon January 27, 2015

Is there a way to configure the "Plan" mode for a backlog in JIRA Agile to display an issue's labels? By default it only seems to display the Epic of Fix version flags.

11 answers

53 votes
Péter Szántó July 23, 2015

You can do it at

Board / Configure / Card Layout / Backlog

bclenet December 29, 2016

I'd like the label to be displayed on the same line as the issue not below (it takes too much space)
How to do this? 

Like # people like this
Lanier Hall January 3, 2017

+1 for showing custom columns inline instead of forcing all issues to double in size

Like # people like this
Ryan Prater January 17, 2017

+1 for showing custom columns inline instead of forcing all issues to double in size

Like # people like this
bclenet January 17, 2017

Can someone suggest the idea? I don't know where to put it. @Lanier Hall, @Ryan Prater

noel scott January 26, 2017

Added Epic Link as described and it made no difference.

Jannik February 3, 2017

Yes, it works, but it looks silly:

1. It display "none" if no tag is set. What is this information for? It should only displayed if a tag is set.
  2. It adds a new line instead of display the tag in the same line. In combination with the "none-feature" the backlog will grow to the doulbe of display size. > Uses to much space

sum: Not usable for me.

Like # people like this
Brad Thurber March 7, 2017

I think we are all beating around the bush here and what we would probably like to see is something like what GitHub has with their issues feature that allows adding nice-looking color-coded labels and being able to sort/filter by label.

Like # people like this
Tom Wilhelm September 26, 2017

That's exactly what people want. So many companies use Epics not as Epics, but as "labelled buckets", because there's no other option for viewing and grouping like stories in the backlog. Which is fine... until you need to use Epics as... you now... actual Epics.

Like # people like this
bn273340 October 18, 2017

+1 for treating epics like buckets.  Nearly all of my Scrum planning boards have "All Systems Go", "Parking Lot" and "Dead Letter Office" epics on them to help sort the back log.  I would be satisfied with simple swim lanes on the planning board so i can at least drag and drop my issues into other "buckets".  I could then use epics like real epics and my backlog is my pick list for my sprints.

Like Marc Assenmacher likes this
jevcc November 23, 2017

+1 Labels would be very useful for grouping and it's not convenient to have an extra row on the cards. It takes too much space.

Like Marc Assenmacher likes this
boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2018

+1 for showing custom columns inline instead of forcing all issues to double in size - on a big screen there is so much real estate between the summary and the version column, let's use it

Like # people like this
Sync June 6, 2018

Duncan McLeod June 12, 2018

+1.  Doubling the row size is not good.  Showing the labels would be a great enhancement.

Like # people like this
Julien Lagarde June 14, 2018

Anurag Jain July 11, 2018

+1 for the need for not adding a second line and showing status color coded on the same line (similar to version and Epic)

Eric Bézine July 13, 2018

+1 for showing custom fields (components) on the same line, having the exact same behavior as epic (label + color)

Like Ayle likes this
Luka Piljek September 4, 2018

+1 for showing custom labels on the same line, having the exact same behavior as epic (name + color)

Sam Ratcliff September 6, 2018

+1 we all have screens wider than 80 characters now, labels on the same line will fit just fine

Armen Forget September 9, 2018

+1 for displaying configurable fields on same-line

Like # people like this
Luiz Henrique Clazzer September 10, 2018

Like # people like this
Stupo September 24, 2018

Like # people like this
Ean Huddleston October 8, 2018

Like # people like this
John Volosen October 8, 2018

+1 need ability to display Labels in backlog just like Epic labels are displayed. Common JIRA listen for once to your user feedback.

Like Ilya Buldin likes this
Nic Bathgate November 6, 2018

Like John Volosen likes this
Tim MacKay November 12, 2018

Why does every comment here start with +1?

Deleted user November 16, 2018

Probably a good idea if people vote on the feature request instead of posting "+1" here...

Links:

Like # people like this
Samuel Harder March 18, 2019

viktorn April 19, 2019

+1

Eric April 23, 2019

+1 for displaying configurable fields (at least Labels) on same-line!!!!!!!

Like # people like this
jkirali July 15, 2019

+1 for showing components or custom fields on the same line

Olga Gabris August 6, 2019

+1 for showing *Labels* components or custom fields on the same line

Rajesh Maddala August 21, 2019

+1 for showing *Labels* components or custom fields on the same line

lmatejka August 28, 2019

+1

Benedict Roeser September 19, 2019

+1

Easwaran Ponnaiah September 25, 2019

+1

Maxine November 17, 2019

+1

O'Conner January 6, 2020

+1

Ernest Oppetit January 30, 2020

+1 :D

jerome March 16, 2020

+1

Paul March 25, 2020

+1 and voted for it

Fred the Fish September 17, 2020

+1, although can't see that adding an extra vote makes any difference - Atlassian is obviously content with the clunkiness of the UI design.  It seems ludicrous to me - adding just one label means a trade-off whereby you only see half as many issues as before, and makes any drag & drop even more tedious and cumbersome

Alek Strygin October 16, 2020

+1 for labels.  Having to use Epics as labels instead of Epics is very frustrating.

Like Christian Baer likes this
Jake Geddes October 27, 2020

+ 1 for labels inline rather than doubling in size

Does anyone know if Atlassian has provided a solution yet? 

Like Dinesh Verma likes this
Ondřej Michálek December 15, 2020

+1, it is silly that trello is way friendly with labels than jira...

João Costa January 19, 2021

Ayle May 11, 2021

Hi community,

I raised this suggestion, feel free to vote: JRACLOUD-76602

Labels for custom fields in all issue types

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-76602

2 votes
Thomas Ekdahl June 18, 2015

I'd like to have labels displayed on the plan board as well.

Ayle May 11, 2021

Hi Thomas,

2 votes
Antonio Alonzi June 1, 2015

I'd like to have labels displayed on the plan board as well.

Ayle May 11, 2021

Hi Antonio,

1 vote
Ayle May 11, 2021

Hi community,

I raised this suggestion, feel free to vote: JRACLOUD-76602

1 vote
Kevin November 13, 2019

+1 for to display an additional field in the backlog, namely the standard Status field in the (but without doubling the height of the backlog items as others have mentioned). As it is in the Active sprints view (and in the Jira OnPrem version)

Ayle May 11, 2021

Hi Kevin,

Like Kevin likes this
1 vote
Prem Chudzinski _extensi_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 14, 2017

Yes:

1. If your're on cloud you have to write a chrome extension

2. If you're on server you can create a plugin

We've added some labels to Epic list - that was a lot of hacking :)

Check it out

42. EpicStatus.png

bclenet September 14, 2017

Can you share your plugin? 

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 14, 2017
Tom Wilhelm September 26, 2017

Is creating and publishing a cloud plugin basically impossible? Because every single useful plugin I've found is Server only...

Like andrés likes this
Marketplace Partner
September 26, 2017

@Tom Wilhelm sorry but in our case its technically impossible to implement functionality like that on cloud - no API on the cloud

but you can always move to server if cloud is a pain :)

https://atlashost.com/

Vani SuriaPrakash February 13, 2018

Hi, I would like to display the release version number, epics as shown in the above image. Can you please help me with the steps to do the same,

Marketplace Partner
June 14, 2018

Update to the latest app version, its included.

0 votes
Stephen Sayler June 24, 2020

My favorite solution for this is to use card colors based on queries of issue status. Great way to assess the readiness of upcoming sprints at a glance. 

card colors.PNG

joshua.peeling August 4, 2020

This solution doesn't work for the backlog view though unfortunately. The colors of the cards based on query can only be seen from the Board view... which means you would have already needed to start the Sprint.

Like Kevin likes this
Stephen Sayler August 4, 2020

Hmm - for me it shows in both Kanban and Backlog view. 

In the backlog view, it's a very thin vertical stripe on the far left of each issue row. 

Like # people like this
joshua.peeling August 4, 2020

Oh wow, no you are absolutely correct! Thanks!

Like # people like this
0 votes
Candace Phelps September 13, 2017

Is there any update here? We'd also like to display an additional field in the backlog, namely the standard Status field in the (but without doubling the height of the backlog items as others have mentioned).

Additionally, we would like to remove the Label field (since we don't really use it).

+1 for this idea, Atlassian! :)

0 votes
Timothy Groves August 26, 2017

Agree that the label display, particularly the None when no label is present, is not satisfactory.

I resorted to adding a coloured stripe to the cards based on the label, which takes up less space but you have to remember what the colours denote.

0 votes
Jannik August 18, 2016

It works, but I expect that a label is only show, if a label is set. And if no label is set, there is nothing. But now, all issues without a label have now a "Kein" label. What a miss. Please remove this.

0 votes
BenP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2015

You can add additional fields to each issue on plan view & work view.

have a look at the board configuration page.

Mark_Stevens March 20, 2015

I do not see where to add the additional field. Can you be more specific about where to find that option?

Thomas Ekdahl June 18, 2015

Not possible to configure to show labels in backlog here as far as I can see.

Ayle December 6, 2021

Hi,

Suggest an answer