Displaying labels on the backlog

Is there a way to configure the "Plan" mode for a backlog in JIRA Agile to display an issue's labels? By default it only seems to display the Epic of Fix version flags.

8 answers

You can do it at

Board / Configure / Card Layout / Backlog

I'd like the label to be displayed on the same line as the issue not below (it takes too much space)
How to do this? 

+1 for showing custom columns inline instead of forcing all issues to double in size

+1 for showing custom columns inline instead of forcing all issues to double in size

Can someone suggest the idea? I don't know where to put it. @Lanier Hall, @Ryan Prater

Added Epic Link as described and it made no difference.

Yes, it works, but it looks silly:

1. It display "none" if no tag is set. What is this information for? It should only displayed if a tag is set.
  2. It adds a new line instead of display the tag in the same line. In combination with the "none-feature" the backlog will grow to the doulbe of display size. > Uses to much space

sum: Not usable for me.

I think we are all beating around the bush here and what we would probably like to see is something like what GitHub has with their issues feature that allows adding nice-looking color-coded labels and being able to sort/filter by label.

That's exactly what people want. So many companies use Epics not as Epics, but as "labelled buckets", because there's no other option for viewing and grouping like stories in the backlog. Which is fine... until you need to use Epics as... you now... actual Epics.

+1 for treating epics like buckets.  Nearly all of my Scrum planning boards have "All Systems Go", "Parking Lot" and "Dead Letter Office" epics on them to help sort the back log.  I would be satisfied with simple swim lanes on the planning board so i can at least drag and drop my issues into other "buckets".  I could then use epics like real epics and my backlog is my pick list for my sprints.

+1 Labels would be very useful for grouping and it's not convenient to have an extra row on the cards. It takes too much space.

+1 for showing custom columns inline instead of forcing all issues to double in size - on a big screen there is so much real estate between the summary and the version column, let's use it

You can add additional fields to each issue on plan view & work view.

have a look at the board configuration page.

I do not see where to add the additional field. Can you be more specific about where to find that option?

Not possible to configure to show labels in backlog here as far as I can see.

I'd like to have labels displayed on the plan board as well.

I'd like to have labels displayed on the plan board as well.

It works, but I expect that a label is only show, if a label is set. And if no label is set, there is nothing. But now, all issues without a label have now a "Kein" label. What a miss. Please remove this.

Agree that the label display, particularly the None when no label is present, is not satisfactory.

I resorted to adding a coloured stripe to the cards based on the label, which takes up less space but you have to remember what the colours denote.

Is there any update here? We'd also like to display an additional field in the backlog, namely the standard Status field in the (but without doubling the height of the backlog items as others have mentioned).

Additionally, we would like to remove the Label field (since we don't really use it).

+1 for this idea, Atlassian! :)

Yes:

1. If your're on cloud you have to write a chrome extension

2. If you're on server you can create a plugin

We've added some labels to Epic list - that was a lot of hacking :)

Check it out

42. EpicStatus.png

Can you share your plugin? 

Is creating and publishing a cloud plugin basically impossible? Because every single useful plugin I've found is Server only...

@Tom Wilhelm sorry but in our case its technically impossible to implement functionality like that on cloud - no API on the cloud

but you can always move to server if cloud is a pain :)

https://atlashost.com/

Hi, I would like to display the release version number, epics as shown in the above image. Can you please help me with the steps to do the same,

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Emilee Spencer
Published yesterday in Marketplace Apps

Marketplace Spotlight: DeepAffects

Hello Atlassian Community! My name is Emilee, and I’m a Product Marketing Manager for the Marketplace team. Starting with this post, I'm kicking off a monthly series of Spotlights to highlight Ma...

38 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot