Display custom fields in backlog view

Alex November 25, 2020

I have a field called "Fix Version" which represents the version of our software product that a certain ticket should be developed for.

This Fix Version field works fine in in the ticket detail screen (I can add/change/remove versions just fine).

However, what I wanted to do is to show this field in the Backlog View in Jira as an extra piece of information inside each row that contains the ticket ID and title.

I have seen this done before and there are even some articles out there, but I can't seem to be able to do it. I believe I have to do this in the CARD LAYOUT menu, but I just don't have this in my system.

I am the org admin and project admin so it should not be a question of permissions.

image (6).pngThis is an example of how I would like it to show up. The second circle on the right shows a version, I want that to be my "Fix Version" field.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2020

Hi @Alex  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Just to confirm, you have created a new custom field, called Fix Version, and you do not mean the built-in field Fix Versions, correct?

If so, the project admin should be able to use ... Board Settings > Card Layout to add additional fields to the backlog or board views.  This is only possible for Classic Projects (not NextGen) and you may only add 3 additional fields, I believe.

Best regards,

Bill

Alex November 25, 2020

Hi Bill thanks for the reply.

The Fix Version is actually the built-in one. I assumed it was created by someone from my team, incorrectly as it turns out.

What you said about Classic vs. NextGen, that seems to be the issue. I am using a NextGen project. 

I found an article about migrating from NextGen to classic: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/migrate-between-next-gen-and-classic-projects/ but I will see if it makes sense to do it.

Is there any other way to display information on those rows? Maybe a tag or something? Or is that really completely fixed in the NextGen type of project?

Best,

Alex

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2020

Hi Alex,

NextGen projects are intended to be simple for teams to manage, without help from admins, so their abilities are a bit limited.  You may be able to use automation to replace the values of a displayable field, so look here at the NextGen info to see what fields are availble to consider that approach:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/get-started-with-next-gen-projects/

There are several suggestions around adding card/field configuration to NextGen projects/boards, which you may review and vote for here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/issues/?jql=project%20IN%20(JRACLOUD%2C%20JSWCLOUD)%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20summary%20~%20%22next%20gen%22%20AND%20summary%20~%20card%20ORDER%20BY%20Key

__Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events