Display Jira Project Tasks in Confluence for public viewing?

John M. Meloche January 14, 2021

My customers are looking for clarity about the features we have requested in our application. Ideally they would be able to view our Tasks in Jira.

I have been looking for a way to display our Jira Cards in a Confluence wiki page "Pending Feature Requests" that is visible to the pubic without them needing to login.

I have not been able to find any app for this. Thank you in advance.

3 answers

0 votes
Stephen Crandell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2021

@Trudy Claspill ,

I totally agree that anonymous access is risky and the best, most secure way is to add the customers as licensed users. But, that can get expensive. I was just thinking that if @John M. Meloche grants the Jira side permission to the customers and allows anonymous access to a specific Conf space that only houses a jira issue filter, no anonymous user would be able to view the list because of the Jira permissions. But, the customers would since they have the correct permissions on the Jira side. Please correct me if I am wrong in my logic here.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2021

Hello @John M. Meloche 

Do you customers have login access for Confluence? Do they have login access for JIRA?

As @Stephen Crandell mentioned, you can create a Confluence space that allows anonymous access. However, that would allow absolutely anyone to view the Confluence space. And if you used a JIRA gadget to display JIRA issue information on the Confluence page, then the customers would also have to have the Browse Project permission in all JIRA projects for which issue data was going to be displayed.

You can also modify JIRA Classic project permissions to grant the Browse Project permission to "Anyone", allowing anonymous access to that also. Again, though, it would allow absolutely anyone to view the contents of that JIRA project.

Enabling anonymous access is risk. I don't advise it.

If you are willing to grant your customers individual logins and thereby consume user licenses in your Confluence and JIRA systems, that would be more secure.

If you are willing only to give them access to Confluence, or grant anonymous access to Confluence, then you would need to export the JIRA issue data and post it as, for example, an Excel file in Confluence. It would not be a live view of current JIRA data for your customers. You would have to periodically update the file. But that would limit your JIRA exposure.

0 votes
Stephen Crandell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2021

Have you tried creating a space in confluence and setting the permissions to allow anonymous access? The customers could then view the space and the pages within. The other side is the customers would need to have Jira project Browse Projects permission.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events