Disappeared tasks

Svetlana June 24, 2022

Good afternoon!

The following situation happened: the tasks were in the project and on the board, then disappeared from there. I can find them only through the "Filter" tab in the extended task list. When I open the task, there is a note that the task belongs to project X. And in project X it is missing.
Please tell me how to return the task to the board and make sure that they will not disappear in the future?

In my case, filters are not installed on the board. Tasks were disappeared not only from the board, but also from list of tasks and so on. They are present only in extended task list.

It's not scrum or kanban. It's a business process board.  I can not find board configuration and sub-filters. Can you write the way to find this information? 

3 answers

0 votes
Tina Esmaeili September 13, 2023

I have the same issue! a business project and missing tasks! no way to edit the built-in board!
jira board missing.png

0 votes
0ne-nine9 September 13, 2022

@Svetlana I have just experienced this and can relay my workaround here.

I am using a Jira Service Management - Team Based Project on Jira Cloud.

I have noticed the following behavior:
- Older tasks go missing in Board view.

- Same tasks are not missing in the List and Issue view. I can find them by searching for them manually by key or title but only in these views.

This lead me to believe that Board view has some issues with indexing results for too long, if nothing has changed on them in a while. I have proceeded to find some of these missing issues and edit something simple in one of the fields, such as the Reporter or the Start Date. Immediately after updating any of the fields of the issue, it has reappeared in the Board view. This is independent of the status the issue is in. It will disappear after a while regardless if it's in `Work in Progress` or `Done` states.

As a workaround for this issue, I've created the following automation.

Every 2 hours, it removes the Reporter and then sets it again to `Automation for Jira` for every issue in the project. This may cause some slow performance but at least all my tasks are there in Board view when I want to see them.

image (12).png

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2022

Hi Svetlana,

So you are using a Business Project and the tasks have disappeared from the List view and the Board. Correct? 

When you see the list of issues in the advanced search - what is the status of the missing issues? And do they still have issue keys associated with the project? Meaning the project is ABC and the issue ABC-123 or ABC-887

Svetlana June 24, 2022

Yes. you are right.  The status of the missing issues often is "done" or "ready for launch" or "open issues". May be tasks with others status are also missing, but I noticed only these.   

When I open issues on advanced list, tasks have right marks of board and task number. If I push on the mark of project, Broad opens but this task is not present on the board. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2022

Is it possible to share some screenshots? 

Svetlana June 24, 2022

When I change status " done" to "in progress" and than again change to "done" issue is appears on the board.  Tasks returns also if I install executor.  I've manually  return tasks on the board, so i can not make screenshots now.  

I am scare that this situation will happen in the future and I lose issues next time. 

Svetlana June 27, 2022

have you any comments of this? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2022

I suspect there is something in your board filter or sub-filter that is causing them to disappear. Can you share a screenshot of the Board Settings > General tab? 

Svetlana June 29, 2022

Sorry, do you mean project settings?  I can not find board settings

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2022

No, it would be board settings. While you are on the board, click on the 3 dots menu in the upper right.

Screenshot.png

Svetlana June 29, 2022

board.PNG

Svetlana June 29, 2022

i have following settings

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2022

Sorry, I forgot it is a business project and you can't change the board with those. 

So, I assume this is normal operation for the board that the issues/cards disappear after two weeks from when they are moved to Done. You cannot currently change that with the board for Business projects. 

Is there a reason you need to see the issues on the board after they have been done for 2 weeks? 

Svetlana June 29, 2022

i have noticed that issues were disappeared not only from status "done", but also from status "open issues" and "ready for launch"

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2022

Sounds like you will need someone from Atlassian to take a look at it. Let me see if I can get someone. 

Svetlana June 30, 2022

is it enough for me to sent links? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2022

They will come here to see and ask questions. 

Svetlana July 1, 2022

Have you any comments of this? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2022

I would give someone from Atlassian another day. If not by this weekend, maybe we can engage them on Monday. 

Svetlana July 1, 2022

Спасибо!

Like John Funk likes this
Svetlana July 4, 2022

Good morning! Have you any progress?

Marcos Milanesio
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 5, 2022

Hi Svetlana, 

Please, Can you check if you have any filters?

board_filters.png

Svetlana July 5, 2022

filter.PNG

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 6, 2022

Hello @Svetlana ,

Please allow me to step in as well, checking out the conversation up to this point I think @Marcos Milanesio  is on the right track looking at the Filters that are applied,  as the filter that you have applied currently will only display issues that are assigned to you. 

That means any unassigned issue or issues that another user assigns to themselves will not appear on the board and would look like they disappeared based on another user's actions.

I would recommend as a first step removing the filter to see if the issue that you were expecting shows back up, however, if another user completed those issues more than 14 days prior they will also drop off the board as covered by @John Funk  earlier and detailed HERE so you should also do a search in the issue navigator.

Do an advanced search to find the issues you are expecting on the board:

and use something like the following to see the completed issues that you can sort through:

project = "Your Project" AND status = Done ORDER BY CREATED

And something like the following to see issues that were previously assigned to you, but have been reassigned to another user:

project = "Your Project" AND (assignee != currentuser() OR assignee is EMPTY) AND assignee was in (currentuser())

Then check the issue's history (under the history tab on each issue) to verify what status the issue is in and when it was added to that status.

Regards,
Earl

Like # people like this
Svetlana July 6, 2022

Thanks! In my situation tasks of other members were disappeared with status"done', "open issues" and "ready for launch' 

Thanks for explanation about the status 'done'. There are questions of other statuses. Why tasks of other members with statuses " open issues" and "ready for launch" are disappearing from board, but exist in extended list of tasks? 

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2022

Hi @Svetlana ,

Per you last question:

Why tasks of other members with statuses " open issues" and "ready for launch" are disappearing from board, but exist in extended list of tasks? 

Looking at the screenshot you posted you have the "Assigned to me" quick filter applied:

filter (1).png

When this filter is applied only issues where you are the assignee will appear on the Board.

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events