Disable status for certain tasks

Patrick Glettig
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 8, 2018

We have defined multiple Status in our Kanban board: "Not Started", "In Progress", "Not required" "Done".

There are some tasks which should not be allowed to put to the status "Not required", in other words mandatory tasks. Is this possible to implement?

2 answers

1 vote
Deleted user November 8, 2018

Hi @Patrick Glettig,

My suggestion would be to either use an add-on such as, Jira Suite Utilities (if you have server) and map a custom check box field such as Mandatory to the instructions listed in this answer. 

If the task is checked as mandatory then the status cannot be transitioned to.

For Jira cloud you could use Scriptrunner. You can apply the instructions linked here.

Hope this helps

Patrick Glettig
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 8, 2018

Nice this works absolutely smoothly! You do not even see the Status option "Not required" if I set my custom field to "Mandatory" so people do not even have the option to do it. Thanks a lot, also for the quick response.

Deleted user November 8, 2018

Anytime @Patrick Glettig

Please Accept my answer so that others will be able to find it for future reference.

Have a great day :) 

0 votes
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2018

Well, a status on a kanban board can represent different status of an issue (I assume that your definition of "task" is an issue in Jira, correct?) You could define different issue types eg. Task & Mandatory Task. Both issue types are displayed in one kanban board, but the issue types use different workflows: "Task" allows the status "Not required" & has got a transition to it. "Mandatory task" doesn't use the status "Not required" at all & therefore cannot be transitioned into that status on the board.

Best

JP

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events