Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Disable issue export functionality Edited

My client requested a feature/plugin where the admin can disable the issue export functionality for all projects.

Core idea:

The custom app should provide an admin screen which serves to activate / deactivate the restrictions as outlined below. Application administrators and system administrators should be able to switch the restriction on or off - for the entire platform and all projects on it.
Currently I have implemented a workaround:

CSS in the announcement banner and is certainly not safe.

Single issue:
div.aui-toolbar2-secondary {display:none}

Bulk issue:
div.saved-search-operations button.header-views {display:none}

What would be possible solution ?
Are there any api available to control the export functionality?
Write a new plugin? 
Use scriptrunner fragments to hide the export button ?

2 answers

0 votes
Danyal Iqbal Community Leader Mar 03, 2021

Writing a new plugin would be your safest and most painless bet.

Hello guys,

It took me quite some time , but I have found a way how to disable and enable the export functionality

After a long research I found under the system plug ins of atlassian: called "Issues View Plugin" 

When disabling it the export buttons are not present anymore.

via the universal plugin manager rest api allows you to enable and disable plugins with the key 

https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/UPM/pages/6094960/UPM+REST+API

instead of writing a plugin , I used scriptrunner web item + dialog ... so basically I've got a button -> on click it calls the get api and stores the values and displays it on the dialog with 2 radio buttons ( enable , disable). Then I've wrote a javascript which performs the put call for enable or disable. 

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-15 um 16.52.11.png

Test1.png

Sorry to answer a question with a question, but why does your client want to disable the export feature? The ability to get Jira's data out in some format or another is nothing different than that what the user can do via the web interface, except on a larger faster scale.

The export feature isn't some sort of backdoor that provides access to any data that is somehow normally blocked from the user's access. Why is it considered that exporting the same data as something else, like a CSV etc, is somehow 'bad' and should be stopped?

@David Bakkers valid question. Well the client is very certain , that the users are still able to screenshot the page or via other mechanism. Their argument was -> their have got more than 6 mil issues (most of them are very sensible data), they want to prevent that someone is able to get everything by just "one click". Don't get me wrong i agree with you :)

OK, thanks for the reply. Sometimes the measures that companies take to prevent something are the catalyst for nefarious users to develop a work around.

At least with the CSV export feature, that action is logged against the user's ID, so you know they did it. If a user resorts to using a browser side utility to convert the tabular data on the web page into CSV or similar, you have no idea it is happening.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

ThinkTilt is joining the Atlassian Family!

This morning, Atlassian announced the acquisition of ThinkTilt , the maker of ProForma, a no-code/low code form builder with 700+ customers worldwide. ThinkTilt helps IT empower any team in their or...

339 views 19 20
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you