Disable issue export functionality

eli.cohen March 3, 2021

My client requested a feature/plugin where the admin can disable the issue export functionality for all projects.

Core idea:

The custom app should provide an admin screen which serves to activate / deactivate the restrictions as outlined below. Application administrators and system administrators should be able to switch the restriction on or off - for the entire platform and all projects on it.
Currently I have implemented a workaround:

CSS in the announcement banner and is certainly not safe.

Single issue:
div.aui-toolbar2-secondary {display:none}

Bulk issue:
div.saved-search-operations button.header-views {display:none}

What would be possible solution ?
Are there any api available to control the export functionality?
Write a new plugin? 
Use scriptrunner fragments to hide the export button ?

3 answers

0 votes
Vamsi Krishna Panthulu March 7, 2024

is it possible to disable export for every in jira cloud ?

0 votes
eli.cohen March 5, 2021

Hello guys,

It took me quite some time , but I have found a way how to disable and enable the export functionality

After a long research I found under the system plug ins of atlassian: called "Issues View Plugin" 

When disabling it the export buttons are not present anymore.

via the universal plugin manager rest api allows you to enable and disable plugins with the key 

https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/UPM/pages/6094960/UPM+REST+API

instead of writing a plugin , I used scriptrunner web item + dialog ... so basically I've got a button -> on click it calls the get api and stores the values and displays it on the dialog with 2 radio buttons ( enable , disable). Then I've wrote a javascript which performs the put call for enable or disable. 

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-15 um 16.52.11.png

Test1.png

David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2021

Sorry to answer a question with a question, but why does your client want to disable the export feature? The ability to get Jira's data out in some format or another is nothing different than that what the user can do via the web interface, except on a larger faster scale.

The export feature isn't some sort of backdoor that provides access to any data that is somehow normally blocked from the user's access. Why is it considered that exporting the same data as something else, like a CSV etc, is somehow 'bad' and should be stopped?

eli.cohen March 16, 2021

@David Bakkers valid question. Well the client is very certain , that the users are still able to screenshot the page or via other mechanism. Their argument was -> their have got more than 6 mil issues (most of them are very sensible data), they want to prevent that someone is able to get everything by just "one click". Don't get me wrong i agree with you :)

David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2021

OK, thanks for the reply. Sometimes the measures that companies take to prevent something are the catalyst for nefarious users to develop a work around.

At least with the CSV export feature, that action is logged against the user's ID, so you know they did it. If a user resorts to using a browser side utility to convert the tabular data on the web page into CSV or similar, you have no idea it is happening.

0 votes
Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 3, 2021

Writing a new plugin would be your safest and most painless bet.

Suggest an answer