Disable User 2fa

David Brown December 2, 2020

I have a user who has had phone issues and I want to temporarily disable his 2fa. I am set up as an admin but cant find anywhere in Jira where I can disable his 2fa temporarily

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2020

Hi David,

the two-step verification can be disabled via account settings page of the affected user, here is a how-to:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/two-step-verification-976161185.html#Two-stepverification-disableDisabletwo-stepverification

Cheers,
Daniel

David Brown December 6, 2020

Thats not quite what I need. I need to do it for a user as an admin,

I dont have the users log in details to log in with so I cant log in as them and they cant either as they dont have their phone.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2020

As "site admin" (you stated here you are site admin for your site) you can "Log in as another user" - doing so you can reach your goal. Just tested :)

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/log-in-as-another-user-776994835.html

NOT ANDREW February 24, 2021

Hi - @daniel - when I follow these steps (same issue) the system transfers in to my personal account when moving from the logged in state as the User in JIRA to the Account settings screen.

Every time I have tried this I always end up in the accounts settings (where I could disable MFA for the user) as myself and not as the user I am logged in as. Any suggestions?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 28, 2021

To be honest, no. In case you haven't had a request open with Atlassian support I would encourage to do so.

Chris Beswick April 10, 2022

A year on and this still is a problem - I have the same scenario as David and the behaviour as described by Andrew.

Most of the time not a problem - until someone breaks their phone :D

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events