Direction of linked issues

Sandra Watt
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 19, 2018

Perhaps I'm just being obtuse, but I want to set that IssueA blocks IssueB.  I'm editing IssueB, so I go to add a link.

But the terminology in the dialog is unclear to me, and I can interpret it either way.

ScreenShot.jpg

I can read this as:

• This issue blocks IssueA, OR
  • Issue 'IssueA' bocks This issue

So I'm left being unsure which issue's perspective this dialog box is coming from, and whether I should therefore choose blocks, or 'is blocked by'.

If the wording was set up like:  "The current issue _____________ issue __________" it would be clear, but the way it is, I'm unsure.

Even once you've created the link, the wording around the resulting linked issue displayed can go either way to me, so didn't help me confirm if I chose the correct direction.  Under Issue Links, it says: blocks <new line> IssueA.  Could mean

• The list of blocks for this issue is: IssueA
  • This issue blocks the following issues: IssueA

So... what is the intended usage?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2018

It is the new UI in Cloud that makes it a bit confusing. The text "This issue" should be above the drop-down list, have a look at the same screen for Server:link-dialog

So in your case it should read that Issue B blocks Issue A. You can always customize the types of links that you can create to make it clearer if needed.

Sandra Watt
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 19, 2018

Thanks for clarifying!  The Server screenshot is not ambiguous.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events