Different workflows in the same project?

Hugo Raphael Santos de Castro August 18, 2022

Hello!

I have three distict teams, one is a techinical suport team and the other two are project development teams of two different assets of the company. My intention is to creat three kanban boards, one for each team.

The problem is, each team have different workflows, but issues on techinical support team affect and are needed to be seen on the proj. dev. teams boards.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to overcome this?

I've been thinking about creating disctinc projects, but idk how to conect them, or even if this solution will bring more management effort. 

Thank you!

Hugo Castro

4 answers

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2022

Yes, you can have different workflows within the same project, as long as you are using a company-managed project. Team-managed projects currently do not allow you to do this.

Note that an issue type within the project can only be assigned to one workflow, so you would have to have different issue types in order to do this.

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2022

You have a couple of options. Either create different projects with different schemes or use different issue types with different workflows. If these three teams work completely independently on different products then my direction would be separate projects altogether. However if the teams work collectively on a given product or project but work differently then I would likely go with a single project.

0 votes
Charles Mutunga August 18, 2022

A workflow can be used by one or more issue types but an issue type can have only one workflow.

Since each of the three boards will have a distinct workflow then it follows you need at least 3 issue types, one for each board and with its own distinct workflow depending on the work process on each board/team.

At least 3 of course means you can have more if for instance a board needs more than one issue type.

An issue type represents a distinct type of work with its own unique process. If there is more than one categorization of work in a board/team then you may well need more than one issue type for the board. Consequently the total number of issue types for the project will exceed 3. This of course assumes that you want to keep everything in one project

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 18, 2022

Adding to what the other responders said, if you do create separate projects, you can create one board that shows the issues from all the projects.

There are some differences between how boards for Team Managed projects and Company Managed projects handle the issues. When you make a board that combines data from multiple projects, it functions like the boards for Company Managed projects. Because of that I would advise that if you decide to go with separate projects then you make them Company Managed projects. Currently Jira doesn't allow you to make a board that functions like the Team Managed project boards and includes data from multiple projects.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events