Different workflows for Stories and Subtasks?

Austin Davidson May 15, 2013

Is it possible to assign Stories and Subtasks (within the same project) to different workflows? We don't test subtasks, only the actual stories, so we'd like to have an Pending->InProgress->Closed workflow for subtasks but a Pending->InProgress->InTesting->Closed workflow for stories. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Austin

8 answers

6 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
JulioV May 15, 2013

Nic's pretty much nailed it on the head, ultimately you'd want to configure a workflow scheme to manage the issue type-to-workflow associations. More info here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow+Schemes

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2013

Yes. Define the two workflows you need, then go to "workflow schemes" and create a new one. Tell it to use workflow 1 for Subtasks, and workflow 2 by default. (You can only have one workflow per issue type, but you can share them)

Sasank Potturu April 17, 2018

How do I overcome a situation where there can be different sub-task classes each with its own userflow. 

Let us say there a few design sub-tasks and a few engineering sub-tasks which follow their own workflow processes. How do I handle a situation like this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2018

Same answer, there's nothing to "overcome", just use two flows.

Just to clarify,

Create Subtask Issue Type 1 and Subtask Issue Type 2 and get different work-flows assigned to them. Is that what you are suggesting?

Like Jvaps likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2018

That is what the answer said.

Thanks Nic! Shall do it that way. Regards

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kevin Preston June 12, 2018

Hi, I have set up the following workflows:

workflows.png

Created some stories and sub-tasks and move a few along their workflows then when I view the agile board both workflows have been merged into one:

board.png

TIO BAU Workflow is ToDo->In Development->Testing->UAT->Done

TIO BAU Sub-tasks workflow is YoDo->InDevelopment->Parked->Done

I am looking to have two boards, one for each workflow and if possible the sub-task workflow to group the sub-tasks by parent story. 

Cheers,

Kevin.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2018

now you are confusing me but ignoring the previous and focusing on this new detail...

why would you want two boards, one for stories and one for sub-tasks? If you map the statuses associated w/ the various workflows to the proper columns then dragging and dropping will adhere. The workflows are not merged into one it is just that both issuetype exist on the same board because you have not excluded any issue types in the filter.

If you are dead set on having one board for Stories and one for sub-tasks you can do that (see below) but I don't think you will like the results. Stories and their sub-tasks belong together.

Separate Boards:

• Board 1 board filter: project = TB and issuetype != "TIO BAU Sub-tasks"
  • Board 2 board filter: project = TB and issuetype = "TIO BAU Sub-tasks"

p.s. have you looked at using Swimlanes by Stories? Maybe that would work for your goals.

In any event this topic is drifting from the original thread and I fear will confuse future users. To that end, if there are further questions, it might be best to open a new thread.

Tarang February 23, 2019

Separate boards aside,  I encounter a problem when using the single board so as to have a single source of truth/view of work flow across a team when using "stories" & their WBS in the form of "subtask".  

I have coherently mapped the possible states of  "Story" & "Sub-task" into desired columns when configuring the Board.  However as soon as I instantiate a Story with a Subtask, the board re-flows that story out of its current context & priority order for execution/flow and sets it apart into its own swim lane for that story.  This is wrong on multiple levels for any execution team

- for one breaks the order of stories/tasks/bugs that they will likely have agreed at planning and thus the visual representation on the board

- The swim lane sets the "Story" in the "ToDo" column when right next to it it echos back the "In Development" state.

- What is the value of mapping the states for the jira types story, task, sub-task if they aren't respected by correctly landing the item in the corresponding column when using them as a combination (story & sub-task)?

Have I missed something with the board configuration to have this effect?

- I have included the view of my board configuration, incase some one can better reason than I have been able to for the resulting view.

image.png

Here is my Board configuration for the column/states

image.png

robbinskersten July 14, 2019

I am having the same issue. Has it be solved? 

thanks!

1 vote
Answer accepted

Just to be clear, is it possible to have a different workflow for a sub-task that is part of a story?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2018

yes

Not quite what I expected. I have created two separate workflows, one for sub-tasks and one for the rest. I create a series of subtasks under a story, the end result is both workflows are merged into one where you can only move the sub-tasks to the columns that were part of its dedicated workflow.

I am looking to have two separate workflows, one for the devs to move the tasks through the development phase (preferably grouped by story or an easy way to see what story the tasks belong to) and one to move the stories through (e.g. testing, PO review, UAT etc).

Can this be done?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2018

K, I may not be following and consuming too quickly but...

if you have two WFs and you want one to apply to the Story and the other to apply to the sub-task then you simply need to assign the issue type to the appropriate WF.

Story = WF1

Sub-task = WF2

i must be missing something?

1 vote
Answer accepted
Chris December 15, 2015

How do you align this with a Kanban board? If the Story workflow is different to the subtask work flow?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2015

You can have separate columns for the status (looks a little odd as you can't drag any issue into any column then) or you can share columns (e.g. mix status in-progress for stories with under-development for subtasks)

1 vote
Answer accepted
Austin Davidson May 20, 2013

Thank you both for your quick & helpful responses. Much appreciated! :)

0 votes
Rajesh Viswanathan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2021

be the change and how to bring the change to community .

0 votes
Rajesh Viswanathan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2021

I am having the same issue and got resolved , thanks all for the support.

Suggest an answer