Different workflow dependent on resolution status

Mindy Johnson December 9, 2022

My dev team is asking if it is possible to change the workflow based on a resolution status (duplicate, won't do etc). 

The team wishes to bypass the workflow if the resolution status is duplicate etc.

Right now, a bug will have to go through in progress, in review, QA then closed.  They want to insert into the In Progress status the ability to close a ticket if its a duplicate.

Is this possible?

2 answers

2 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2022

@Mindy Johnson There is no way to change the workflow.  You can however add additional transitions or a single transition that would bypass the additional steps to close.  You could make the resolution a required field on the transition screen or have several transitions that just set the resolution.  

Thank you @Brant Schroeder

I tried to add a bypass by adding in a property of jira.field.resolution.include using resolution numbers of 2,3,4,5,10001,10100,10300,10400 (resolutions IDs).

JIRA presents the the option to bypass, but the resolutions statuses are not presented, just the first in the list.  

Is this set up incorrectly?

Like Brant Schroeder likes this
2 votes
Answer accepted
Hamza Chundrigar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2022

Hi @Mindy Johnson 

Workflows are associated with particular projects and, optionally, specific issue types.

If I understand you correctly, it seems that you're looking to create a path for a bug to be closed with a resolution = duplicate, without having to go through In Review -> QA and then finally closed. This is possible.

For the workflow associated with the issue type 'Bug' — you can create a separate transition that goes from in progress into the closed status.

From there, you can use the workflow properties for this second transition to closed status, and add the property to only include the resolution ID (which is Duplicate in your case). In other words, what you're doing is that you will be restricting the user to set a particular resolution that will be available on an issue when it is being transitioned from In Progress directly to Closed (skipping all the statuses in between).

Best regards,
Hamza

Thank you so much @Hamza Chundrigar . 

This appears to work for the first one in the line to choose from.

I added the properties using jira.field.resolution.include and all listed all resolutions that we wish to bypass.  Using just the resolution status number separated by commas, and no spaces.

This theoretically should work based on the document I referenced, but it only reads the first one and not the other resolutions.

Have I set this up wrong?

thx 

@Brant Schroeder and @Hamza Chundrigar - apparently it worked!

I was just impatient!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events