Different names of fields in Service desk and JSM

Avinash Gulumbe May 14, 2023

Hi Team,
I am using a project type as service desk and under project settings, request types I have renamed some fields with a new names so that these fields should be visible on Service Desk

When I update these fields in Service Desk and create a ticket, that ticket in Jira shows Old names of the fields instead of the new renamed fields.
Can someone let me know why I don't see the new renamed fields in Jira

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2023

Hi @Avinash Gulumbe and welcome to the Community!

I am not sure if I understand your question correctly. But I seem to understand you have updated the field names on the request types in your JSM project. In my mind that means adding a customer friendly name to those fields in Project Settings > Request Types, where you define the fields name as it is shown on the customer portal form.

If that is what you mean, you have just given an alias to the fields. The update you do there is just to make sure your customers can see a friendly, self explanatory description of what you want them to enter as information. Behind the scenes (on the Jira issue being used internally), the original field names are still being used.

So, long story short: if my understanding is correct, you updated the field alias and not the actual field names. Which is how it is intended to be used.

Hope this helps!

Avinash Gulumbe May 15, 2023

@Walter Buggenhout Thank you for the quick response.
Yes your understanding is correct I just updated the field alias but the thing is that those fields are being used by a different project with the actual name and I want that field to be used in my project with with a new name so is that possible.
I don't want to add new custom fields to the Jira instance due to performance issue as more fields might slow up the performance.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2023

Good to see you are aware of best practices around performance, @Avinash Gulumbe . On the other hand, don't overdo it either! Adding one field (or even a couple) will not kill your instance. If you want to apply a different field name to a custom field, that usually means it is really a different field.

You can mitigate the concern about performance issues by applying a context to custom fields. So if you add a new field (with the proper name), restrict the field context to just the project(s) where it is being used. That way, it won't be visible in other projects and also reduce performance issues. 

Hi @Walter Buggenhout , Just to provide you the context, the Jira admins are not creating new fields (ofcourse due to performance issue) and as I am a project admin, I am setting up a new project where I need new fields approx 20 fields and thats why I don't want to create new fields. The only option I am left with is use whatever fields are there, so the question remains if its possible to reflect the same field names in Service Desk and Jira.

0 votes
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2023

Hi @Avinash Gulumbe welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Did you update the display name of the fields? Please note that these are only visible in the customer portal (for customers), not within Jira Service Management (as an agent).

Avinash Gulumbe May 14, 2023

Thanks @Dave Mathijs  for the response, Yes I updated the display names.

Could you please let me know how do I go about it, coz I don't want to add new custom fields, I just want to use the one's that are available 

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

Can you share a screenshot of a request type configuration with the correct display name and the same request type in the portal showing the incorrect name?

Hi @Dave Mathijs I am renaming the fields under request type and they are showing correctly in service desk form but when I open the ticket in Jira the field names are showing the old names and not the renamed one's

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2023

@Avinash Gulumbe That is normal behaviour as the fields in Jira Service Management back-end have their original names. If you want these names to be changed for agents as well, then you need to edit the name of the custom field.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events