Design Category >> Web Design Process Template

Parveen Vats April 19, 2023

Hi!

Creating Project in JIra >> Design Category >> Web Design Process Template

When creating new Project (we see many templates under various categories) using this (above) template in Jira Software (cloud), I am not able to see Default Screen Schemes of this Project or Permissions etc.

Is this a just a Calendar/document type Project management template ?
I am thinking of using this template for Designing Part of the Project.

I am in learning and exploring phase, kindly throw some light.

Regards

Parveen

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2023

Hello @Parveen Vats 

Did you complete the project creation process, or are you trying to see the schemes before actually creating the project?

If you did complete the project creation, did you create it as a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project? You would've been able to select that during the project creation process here:

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 1.11.50 PM.png

If the project creation has been completed you can tell which type of project it is by looking at the bottom of the navigation panel on the left.

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 1.13.33 PM.png

Schemes apply only to Company Managed projects, and you can see them only after the project is actually created. Schemes don't apply to Team Managed projects.

Parveen Vats April 19, 2023

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Thank you so much for your response.

I have created one Test Project. It is team-managed project. Have to create the Final Project in a day's time.

So, Can I activate Backlog and Sprint feature in this Project (Web Design Process templated Team-managed Project) ? the way we do in Software development Team-managed projectScreenshot 2023-04-20 105003.png

Also, where Can I find complete guide or FAQs on this Web Design Process ? If you can help. Where Can I learn about ALL Projects and their Templates features, guides etc in Jira ?

I am learning JIRA and enjoying this complex but wonderful tool.

Regards
Parveen

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2023

You cannot activate the Backlog and Sprint features in Work Management projects. That functionality is limited to the Software project templates. Sprints are part of the Scrum template and automatically include the Backlog. The Kanban template does not have the Backlog feature turned on by default, but it can be turned on after you create the project.

You might want to also review this documentation about the difference between the project architecture types - Team Managed vs. Company Managed.

You can find information about the project templates here:

Jira Templates 

Parveen Vats April 24, 2023

Hi! @Trudy Claspill 

Ok! So, in Work Management Projects we cannot activate Backlog and Sprint Features. 
Thanks for your guidance.

Gone through the above link "Jira Template" shared by you but I could not found that we can't activate the said features.

Exactly my Question is this if you can help me plz? Atlassian don't provide the complete guide about the all features step by step  template-wise in various types of Projects ? After going thru many pages, articles, I could not found any document which clearly says as below :

IN Work Management Project > Web Design Templates >>
>>This is available >>then these are steps to activate, or
>>This is not available
>>by Default you will get this template >> IF you want to add x,y,z (maybe to add columns in comp-managed project, in Web-DEsign template)...then you have to go to X setting....click here etc. 

Why steps are not clearly defined (Project-typre wise > template-wise etc) ? If you can share our feedback, it will help making things easier.

I think things can be much much easier.

Thanks for extending your support.

Regards

Parveen

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2023

Hello @Parveen Vats 

I am not an Atlassian Team Member so I cannot provide answers about why Atlassian has chosen to organize their documentation in any specific way.

This documentation might help you:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/more/jira-family#what-is-the-jira-family

You may also find value in the courses offered through Atlassian University.

There are three types of Jira products; Software, Work Management, and Service Management.

Currently if you subscribe to the Jira Software product you automatically get the Jira Work Management functionality also at no extra cost.

In the image below from the Jira Templates page, the top three items are links to templates available per Jira product. The list of template groups below "Work Management" are alternate groupings of the templates by work focus or purpose. These alternate groupings select templates from all three product areas.

Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 10.33.45 AM.png

Notice that the template itself specifies the product to which it belongs.

Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 10.41.38 AM.png

If you want to learn about the functionality offered by the different Products, you would need to reference the product documentation.

Jira Work Management Features overview

-- JWM documentation resources: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-work-management/resources/

Jira Software Features overview

-- JSW documentation resources: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/resources/

The two products offer different functionality because they were designed to serve different business needs. Backlogs and Sprints are concepts associated with product development and are therefore part of the Jira Software product. If you need that functionality, you need to use a Jira Software project template.

I have not found a good page that clearly and concisely shows the differences between the products.

In addition to variations in functionality based on the Product, there are also two project "architectures" available; Company Managed and Team Managed.

Company Managed is the original architecture. It is built around projects being able to share configuration elements (fields, screens, workflows, etc.) with those configurations managed by Jira Administrators. Team Managed is a newer architecture built around the idea of each project being a stand-alone entity with no configuration elements shared with other projects. The Project Administrator has the ability to implement customizations in a Team Managed project without having to get assistance from the Jira Administrators.

Each Product supports use of its Project Templates in both the Company Managed and Team Managed architectures. The architecture will also impact the available functionality. More information on the differences between the project architectures for the Jira Software product can be found here.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/learn-the-basics-of-team-managed-projects/

I hope you find that information helpful.

If your company is new to the Jira products, you might consider engaging an Atlassian Solution Partner to help you determine how to best leverage the products for your company. (Disclosure: I work for an Atlassian Platinum Solution Partner in North America.)

Like Parveen Vats likes this
Parveen Vats April 26, 2023

Thanks a ton @Trudy Claspill 

It's a great help.

Regards

Parveen

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL