Delete an attachment from an issue

Volker Jakob June 14, 2021

I'm deeply confused as I'm not finding a way to delete an attachment from an issue. There is no waste bin icon showing up on the attachment that I want to delete.

According to the rights scheme, I have the right to delete at least my own attachments.

Do I miss more access rights?

4 answers

0 votes
Milena Prieto August 25, 2023

Same with me. Did you find out what happened?

0 votes
Michael Marriott August 15, 2023

If your attachment is there as a drag and drop into another field then you have to edit the field to delete the file.

Karthiga Sethuraj September 20, 2023

@Michael Marriott Could you explain what do you mean by drag and drop field ? I do not have the option to delete either. I am the org admin and the user who added the attachment is unable to delete it as well. Please advise. 

0 votes
delmario
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2021

If you are able:

1. Go to Project Settings:Permissions
  2. Upper right corner, click on Permission Helper
  3.  Enter the issue key that having issues with and your username name
  4. Select the "Delete Own Attachments" under the Permission
  5. Select Submit and Jira will tell you what the issue is why can/cannot delete your own attachments.
Volker Jakob June 15, 2021

Hi @delmario

I've consulted the permission helper and it shows me, that I have the permission to delete my own attachments and all attachment.

Nevertheless, I don't see the trash bin and also don't see the entry to delete all attachment in the action menu.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2021

I see a trash bin in both CMP and TMP projects. What screen are you viewing? 

Hi @Jack Brickey

it's a CMP and I' viewing the new issue view that opens up inside a modal. The trash bin is also not visible in the issue view if I access the issue by a link.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2021

I see the image below. Please verify that you have delete all or delete own attachments depending on needs (project settings / permissions).

04431C38-094C-4DA4-8E42-C88DD875AE53.jpeg

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 15, 2021

I suggest you create a new issue and add an attachment then see if you can delete.

Thanks for you support! I've also created a test project and can't reproduce this behavior in the new project. Attachments can be deleted... Permissions seems to be granted correctly.

What I further found out is, that this somehow is related to a specific user account that is the author of the corresponding issue. The creation of a new user with exactly the same groups that this user has lets me reproduce that.

We follow in general the suggestion from Atlassian by using a dedicated role ("Browse") for accessing specific projects. The permission for delete own is granted to this role. The permission for delete all is granted to administrators.

What I don't understand is that even with my user account (administrator) the trash bin is not visible for attachment that this specific user did upload.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 15, 2021

Hmmm, that is odd. So it seems there is some super-user that has protected content that others can’t touch? I would suggest reaching out to Atlassian support directly on this one as I am  stumped. If you do this please update the post with the final resolution

Michael Marriott August 15, 2023

If your attachment is there as a drag and drop into another field then you have to edit the field to delete the file.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events