Define multiple defaults for adding a comment

Dimitrios Madis April 10, 2019

Hello everybody,

I am new to the community. Therefore, please excuse me if I should forget any details :)

Topic: In our corporation we have a special use case, regarding Jira Software projects.
I would appreciate your feedback :)

First of all, let me give you some basic information about the system/applications:
* We run Jira Server
* Version: 7.11.1 (planing on an update next week probably)
* Java version: 1.8.0_102
* Jira Core/Software 7.11.1
* Jira Service Desk 3.14.1

* The server runs on Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
* The installation of Service Desk is somewhere else...

* I am global admin in Jira
* I have access to the installation (Core/Software) on Ubuntu
* I do not have access to the installation (Service Desk) on <OS>

Problem: Our corporation works with partners.
These partners should have access to our Jira Software projects (we already have this). Partners should also have limited access in terms of editing tickets (e.g. commenting).
However, different users/groups should get different default behaviours if adding comments.
I did not find any setting, that would allow this - I checked admin settings in Jira, issue settings in Jira, velocity.properties in the installation folder on Ubuntu, system-issuetabpanels-plugin.xml in the installation folder on Ubuntu and comment.vm or comment.soy in the installation folder on Ubuntu. The comment.soy inherited a line, which stated

<a class="collapsed-comments" href="{contextPath()}/browse/{$issueKey}?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&showAll=true">

but I was not sure if changing _showAll_ to false would solve the problem or generate new ones XD.
And even if it worked, it would only change the global default behaviour.

Is it possible to define multiple defaults for adding a comment?
For instance, if I add a comment, it will be marked as "internal only" by default and only the internal team is able to view the comment. If an external colleague adds a comment, it will be marked as "internal/external" by default and the internal as well as the external team is able to view the comment.
Obviously, the corporation does not want to use any addons from the marketplace.

Thank you all in advance :)

PS.: In case you do not understand or misunderstand something because of my language skills, you should know, that english is not my native language. Please do not hesitate to depict something if anything is wrong ;)

0 answers

Suggest an answer