Defaulting values from a parent object during workflow transition in JIRA Cloud

Kota Sreenivasa Shravana Kumar July 17, 2019

Greetings

Is it possible to pull values from a parent during workflow transition in JIRA CLOUD either through out of box or through any add-on ? 

example: if i create a sub-task for a story or a task, then 

• Creating a child issue type should fill certain values on the screen from the parent, user is able to override if needed.
  • Custom fields (including team) must be supported.
  • If the parent value changes (even without workflow transition) the children with the parent value should be updated

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 19, 2019

Hello Kota,

Please, allow me to go a little bit further in the topics you provided so we can better know we are on the same page and provide you with the best option to achieve it:

1 - Creating a child issue type should fill certain values on the screen from the parent, user is able to override if needed.

2 - Custom fields (including team) must be supported.

I understand in these topics that you would like to automatically copy some fields (Including Custom fields) from the parent issue when you create your sub-task issues, allowing the assignee of the issue to override the information added in case it is necessary. Is it correct?

You can use the app Automation for JIRA to achieve this functionality, configuring a rule that will update the sub-task fields with the parent values when created:

Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 19.12.54.png

3 - If the parent value changes (even without workflow transition) the children with the parent value should be updated

This same functionality can be achieved by using the same Automation for JIRA app, configuring a rule to automatically update sub-tasks when the parent issues are updated:

Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 19.14.55.png

Let me know if this information helps.

Suggest an answer