Default columns and fields for issue types on all new projects

Matt Cooper April 9, 2021

Is there a way to setup default columns and specific fields per issue type that would be applied for every new next gen project that is created? I've searched the settings and haven't found a way to make this change. It's quite frustrating having to make the same changes for every project manually, so I'm hoping it is just a setting I have missed.

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2021

Hi Matt,

The intent behind Next-gen projects (now Team Based projects) is to be independent of all other projects. In other words, no sharing schemes, custom fields, etc. So that's probably why you are not seeing a way to create a project based on another project. 

If you need/want to be able to use those types of templates, then your best bet is to use Classic Software (not Company Based) projects. 

Matt Cooper April 9, 2021

Thanks, I was worried about that being the answer. Any plans that you know of that would bring this functionality into the next gen projects?

With the classic projects can we set it so all new projects get this same template by default? Or that still requires the project owner to go in and make the changes or select specific schemas/templates?

Thanks again. Appreciate the help.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2021

With Classic project, during the creation process you would specify to create the new project sharing the configuration of an existing project, and then specify the existing project. Classic projects can be created only by Jira Administrators. When creating a Classic project with a shared configuration, the projects share field configurations, screens, workflows, permissions, and notifications. However, there is not a way to automatically create an Agile board for a Classic project with the board using a "shared" configuration. With Classic projects boards can be based on any kind of saved filter, so there is not the concept of a shared board configuration.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 9, 2021

Not that I am aware of for Next-gen. 

And the creator of the project still has to select the value of the existing project during the create process for Classic Software.  :-(

Suggest an answer