Default JIRA workflow has been modified

Anida Softic May 17, 2019

Instead of OPEN status in default jira workflows, it has been modified to "Spec Open" Status.

I assume that someone created new workflow ( made a copy) and edited the status 'open' to "spec Open" and that changes reflected to all other Workflows with status 'Open'.

Now we have active workflow with status 'open' and inactive workflows with 'Spec open'( including JIRA default workflows). The 'Spec OPen' status can not be renamed to Open status, as we already have it. How to return JIRA default workflow to Default state? How to fix this mess with statuses :) 

1 answer

0 votes
Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2019

Hi @Anida Softic

you can't delete a status as long as it's used. However if you replace all the spec open statuses in all the workflows then you can delete it from issues/statuses (there you can see all the associated issues with that status.

I hope this makes sense. Sorry, it's a bit of a manual labour thing.

Yes, I understand. But the problem is that the status has been changed in the default jira workflow, and I don't have option to replace ( edit) there?

Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2019

So if you delete the other "open" status, then you should be able to rename your default back to "open".

Status names are independent of workflows.

Even if that other 'open' status is managed internally By JIRA? :) 

Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2019

What do you mean "managed internally by Jira"?

Associated_workflows_for_SPECIFICATION_OPEN_-_Jira.pngAssociated_workflows_for_Open_-_Jira_nwe.png

This is how it looks under Issues/Statuses. Only one workflow is active ( the one with Open Status within). 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2019

I'm afraid the only way (without unsupportable hacking) to get the default workflow back to using "open" is to rename the "spec open" status back to "open".  This will affect all the workflows using that status. 

If any workflow needs a "spec open" status, you should add a new status for it and modify the workflow to use it.

I would not worry about the workflows Jira shows as "inactive" though - no-one is using them!

The problem is that I m blocked to rename "Spec open" to Open again as I have already that name for Status by JIRA default. And I m not able to delete "spec status" as Default Jira workflow took it and i can not edit it :/  

Yes, It seems that I ll have to leave it as it is, and just make other workflows and activate them.

Suggest an answer