Date time format and issues

Goran Brumen September 7, 2021

Hi,

I have set my language preference in a user profile to English (UK) and according to the document in KB I should have all around date and times written like dd.mm.yyyy hh:mm where the time should in 24hr format. But for example when I want to close the task in Jira, I still have US format with 12 hr format in the "Date started combobox". I haven't searched around for other occurrences. Do we have to set this somewhere or is there a hidden bug around?

Sorry for this if it was answered somewhere else...

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 8, 2021

Hi Goran,

I understand that you are trying to customize the date and time formats that JIra displays.  I don't believe this is a bug, but we might need more detailed information about your configuration and environment to make that determinations.

It would help if we could see exactly what settings you have changed in System Settings > General Configuration > Advanced Settings button.  That page has a URL that looks like this:

.atlassian.net/secure/admin/AdvancedApplicationProperties.jspa

In particular I want to see all the jira.date.* values here (there should be exactly 4 here).

After knowing those values, then you will want to also change the Look and Feel page in Settings.  That page also controls the way in which date/time values actually appear on the page.  That admin page in Jira is also found at a URL of

.atlassian.net/secure/admin/LookAndFeel!default.jspa

I am expecting that you will need to change the settings on that page that have a 'h' into the value of 'H' as the reference file over in https://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/index.html?java/text/SimpleDateFormat.html indicates that is the proper Java syntax for 24 hour time.  Also you would have to drop the 'a' that displays an AM/PM value.

Try that, if you run into problems, please let me know the values you have set in advanced settings and look and feel, and perhaps I can provide more specific troubleshooting steps.

Andy

Goran Brumen September 9, 2021

Hello Andy,

thank You for reply. Unfortunatelly I am not the person who manages our JIRA and Confluence so I wrote the above question more as user. I was hoping that setting appropriate language in my profile settings (in Jira, click in right top button, profile settings-Account settings-Account preferences) would do but if the format is adjustable, then I'll contact our manager to set the appropriate format.

Thank You very much.

Best regards,
Goran

Ricardo Fonseca April 1, 2022

Hi @Andy Heinzer  I face the same issue:

jira.date.time.picker.java.format is set to dd/MMM/yy H:mm

Complete Date/Time Format is set to dd/MMM/yy H:mm

Still, everywhere I see AM/PM times displayed:

1.PNG

https://fontec.atlassian.net/secure/admin/LookAndFeel!default.jspa

2.PNG

https://fontec.atlassian.net/secure/admin/AdvancedApplicationProperties.jspa

3.PNG

Already did ctrl+shift+R to eliminate cache problems

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 1, 2022

@Ricardo Fonseca I can see you're using the new issue view in Jira Cloud.  This view does not always honor the previous date format settings in Jira.  There is a feature request for this over in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-76814

Which explains that many of these date and date/time formats are actually being controlled by your locale preferences.  For example, you can see if you go to https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/account-preferences and change your Language settings to a different region, such as from English US to English UK, and then reload that Jira issue, you can notice that the date formats will appear differently. (Month DD, YYYY into > DD Month YYYY)  Different locals will have different ways to display these dates.  Unfortunately, you cannot at present configure these in such a granular manner.

Alternatively, you can try to follow the steps in Temporarily click through to the old issue view.  This will let you see the old issue view, which I expect will better honor those settings you have adjusted here.

Ricardo Fonseca April 4, 2022

Thanks for your response @Andy Heinzer 

I can confirm that the old view display the date as configured in the settings (upvoted the feature request).

However, they as displayed as "x time ago". Is there a way to control such behavior?

Particularly, on advanced issue search?

I noticed Jira system issue related date fields: created, updated and resolved, are displayed as a date format on the search results table. (even though they are datetime fields, full date time displayed as tooltip)

However, my custom field closed, is displayed in this long "x time ago" (because i used datetime field type to store the time the issue was closed, and to be consistent with default datetime issue field. )

Thanks

oldview.PNG

search.PNG

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
April 5, 2022

Hi Ricardo,

In Jira Cloud today, there is not a clear way to disable these relative dates in all cases.  Although in the new issue view, you can click the relative date in order to toggle your preference to use the absolute dates.

There are also a few feature requests that are in progress to try to improve the overall behavior here, such as:

If either of these reach a state where they are marked as implemented, then I think you will be able to see these values in the way desired.

Like Ricardo Fonseca likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events