Date Field setup wrong and how to fix

Simeon Herbert April 26, 2024

I have a date time picker custom field that we have been using for some time, and I want to change it to a date picker no time.

I don't think I can change an active field, so I have created a new field, now I want to use bulk update to populate it with the content of my original field.  

I'd failing, saying fields.validation.date.format which I assume is because it's a datetime not a date only.

I have used {{issue.customfield_12940}} as the content for my new field - is there a way to force only the date element and will that work for a bulk update?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2024

@Simeon Herbert , Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

For bulk update you really shoul be facing this issue because bulk update works for fields with the same type in Jira. You can use a scheduled automation with a JQL who brings issues with your first (date time) field NOT EMPTY and the second field (date) is EMPTY. Then to edit your second field you can use a Jira smartvalue to convert the format field.

You can see all formats here: Jira smart values - date and time | Cloud automation Cloud | Atlassian Support. I believe for your case you'll need to pass this: {{issue.customfield_12940.jiraDate}}

Just remember that you'll need to use an automation resource to bulk update your issues and not the specific 'bulk action update' in Jira.

Let us know if you have questions

Simeon Herbert April 29, 2024

I get an error:

Oops, we ran into a problem

There was a problems and we couldn't run the automation "{0}"

The automation updates: {{issue.customfield_12940.jiraDate}}

Simeon Herbert April 29, 2024

Looks like we might have hit our automation limits which is a pain, as I leave the company tomorrow.  Just trying to get this done before I go.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events