Dashboard gadget data appearing blank for some of the users

sehreen_jafry December 1, 2021

Hi there,

So I created a Jira Dashboard and straight up gave access to all the jira-software-users group (Any user having a jira account with us) for both the filters as well as the Dashboard itself for simplicity's sake.

I have been receiving complaints from some users that when they load the Dashboard, the 'tabular' statistics for defects etc appear just fine, but they Test execution summary and all those stats, they appear blank as in the users can see the block with the title but they can't see the actual bar charts.

They are using edge browser the same as me, and while I and some other users can see everything just fine, these select few are having issues. 

These users also reported that when they open a testcase to view its 'Test details' -the part where the test steps are visible. They are unable to see the test steps as well, again that block is blank.

Any thoughts on what could possibly be the issue here? (I wish I could attach a screenshot for clarity)

4 answers

0 votes
Developer March 31, 2023

Me pasa exactamente igual. Unos usuarios pueden ver la información de gráfico en el dashboard que cree pero otros no. Mensajes como "No matching issues found", No data Available"  y no encuentro que puede ser.

0 votes
Jean-Francois Hetu March 7, 2022

We have a similar issue here and I still haven't quite put my finger on the issue. It is reproduceable though.

Essentially, most users will experience it at one time or multiple time during the day. The "easy" fix is to get the user to refresh the page with the browser they are using. This usually fixes it. But when nagivating to a dashboard. The first time is almost always showing blank.

At first, I thought it might be related to Chrome browser, after asking users to try edge or some other browser; the issue still seems to persist. It is as though the background query is not retrieving the data as it should.

I haven't got a more stable fix. Hopefully giving this comment some likes will raise awareness to it.

sehreen_jafry March 7, 2022

I think I might have found a possible fix and i.e. to 'Enable third party cookies in your browser settings. Our users were having trouble viewing quite a few areas in Jira, e.g. they couldn't view the 'Test Cycle summary' page or the 'test details' page when a test case was opened. When we allowed the 'Third party cookies' in their browsers and did a hard refresh, irrespective of the browser, they could view the pages properly. The issue that we faced was not an on/off situation, it was persisting till we allowed the 3rd party cookies in browser.

For the issue with the Dashboard, and users not able to see certain gadgets data, I can no longer confirm that the same fix works for those users or not since I no longer have access to the same project, but please try this at your end, and see if this helps.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2021

Can the people who are missing data from the dashboards see the individual items the dashboards are reporting on?  

sehreen_jafry December 16, 2021

Hi, yes they can view the individual items, that is the test cases. But they can't view the statistics in the dashboard. It seems to me a browser compatibility issue, because if it was a permissions' issue, it would have happened to every user of the project.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2021

How did you enable test case tracking in your instance? Are you using a third party app for that?

Did the third party app add new Permissions to the Permissions Scheme or to the Global Permissions that let you define who has access to the Test Case details? If so, is there a difference in the permissions for those who can see the data and those who cannot?

sehreen_jafry December 16, 2021

We are not using any third party app for test cases tracking.
There is a built-in gadget available on the Dashboard which allows you a glimpse of the test cycle summary in a bar chart form, that whole bar chart is missing stats for select few users.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 17, 2021

Test Case and Test Cycle tracking is not native functionality for Jira. You must be using a third party product to have such entities unless you found a way to customize Jira for that without a third party app.

sehreen_jafry March 7, 2022

I realized later that we are actually using 'Zephyr' for test management on Jira. We are so used to having it in our instance that I actually started thinking that it is a native functionality for Jira. My bad.

Suggest an answer