Customized email config with Jira

Midhun January 10, 2022

Hi,

My requirement is to configure a customized email (example - abc@abc.com) in Jira, so that whenever someone sends an email to that id (abc@abc.com). It should automatically create a ticket in Jira.

And the second thing is that it has to include component and status type also. Like, when i send an email it has to take the component and status type automatically and create a Jira ticket with it. Please let me know how can i achieve this

Note: This is a critical project and i am not sure whether they will allow e add some plugins. So please provide steps in both ways ( with and without adding plugins)

Thanks! Cheers!

2 answers

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2022

Hey @Midhun ,

The email itself which creates a ticket is indeed easy and as @Pramodh M explains.

If you however want the system to take default values or even take them from the email then you'll have to look at a plugin.

One that I've used in the past to do such things is Email this issue.

If you are however fine with just the email creation and then using an automation to set the default values that can be done using all out of the box functionality.

0 votes
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2022

Hi @Midhun 

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!!

You need to configure the Email Handler for this to work

Here's a reference link on how to configure an email address

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/create-issues-and-comments-from-email/

Thanks,
Pramodh

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2022

FYI

You can only set the Assignee, Reporter, Priority, Description, Summary Value, and add attachments when you create a ticket via Email as described in the documentation.

Thanks,
Pramodh

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2022

Yeah that's why you would use either Automation to set other fields based on the default fields that can be set

OR use a plugin (like JETI) which can parse the email and get values from a structured email ;)

Suggest an answer