Customfields ID used and change from server to another (huge work to change all codes)

Pascal Krestev
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 2, 2020

Hello

I'm using JIRA since 2013 and hope that one day we can use something else than customfield ID for scripts.

Let me explain.

If you use customfield names, it works only if you use one language ! script test current user language.

So you have to use customfield ID. It is ok if you always work on same production server.

I try to use also Configuration Manager because we have dev/indus/prod servers.

Sometime you have to move an application to another server. And rewriting all code is a mess.

My last application used more than 80 scripts and 75 customfields are involved.

I'm not sure that Atlassian has an answer to that and I'm afraid about the promises future.

If someone smarter than me have a solution...

Thx

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2020

There is no logical way around this.  You can't translate from system to system and preserve field keys because the ids have to be unique. 

The only logical way to avoid having to edit the scripts for the object ids would be to have an arbitrary global id scheme something like "a hash built from the date, time, and licence key at the time the object was created".  You having to amend scripts for migration is a trivial task compared with rewriting the entirity of Jira.

Pascal Krestev
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 3, 2020

Thank Nic, i was prepared for this confirmation. I'll change my script one by one.

Maybe solution could come from Atlassian by dissocied customfield Name from Translated value.

For sample I use UK language to identify my fields (with trigramm code) and ask users to use only US language.

APPLI-Title (UK) / Title (US) / Titre (FR) etc...

Thanks again

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events