Custom issue and issue hierarchy

Haydos July 17, 2022

My organisation has a Jira Data-Centre license (v8.20.10) with the Advanced Roadmaps for Jira plugin. Given this context, is it possible to define a Jira Software project with a custom issue (e.g. Initiative) and custom issue hierarchy (e.g. Initiative is the parent of Epic)? If it is possible, where can a Jira administrator find documentation that explains how to set this up? The advice I have received internally is that our current Jira licence can not support this request without additional plugins.

I am an end user, not a Jira administrator. Below are screenshots I have sourced from my organisations Jira instance. I am assuming that, since Advanced Roadmaps for Jira is listed on this page, that it is a plugin that is paid for, installed, configured and available to Jira System Administrators.

Screenshot-1.png

Screenshot-2.PNG

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2022

Hi

Yes you can but the hierarchy is defined for the entire instance so if the Initiative is above the Epic in one porject it have to be for all the project using this type and Roadmap.

You need to define the hierarchy in Plan on the top nav bar > Administration > Advanced Roadmap HIerarchy. I will display the default one and you will be able to add level above Epic. But you need to be admin for that.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/advancedroadmapsserver0329/configuring-initiatives-and-other-hierarchy-levels-1021218664.html#:~:text=Advanced%20Roadmaps%20lets%20you%20view,specifically%20the%20initiative%20hierarchy%20level.

Once done you have to add the Parent Link field into the EPic screen to let the user link those work items.

Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2022

Note that Advanced Roadmap is included if you have Jira Software only.From the Screenshot you seems to have Jira Service Management only.

Haydos July 17, 2022

Hi Florian,

Thanks for your detailed response! This exactly the kind of information I was after. I’ll draw my system administrator's attention to this response before I accept this as the answer in case they have any follow up questions.

Yes, the first screenshot references “Jira Service Management help” and not “Jira Software help”. Good pick up!

My organisation does have Jira Software. I’ve updated the screenshot posted in the original question so there is no confusion. Does it matter that my organisation has both Jira Service Management and Jira Software?

Haydos July 17, 2022

One additional point of clarification. You said that the “hierarchy is defined for the entire instance”. Does that mean if my custom issue and issue hierarchy is implemented, everybody in my organisation would be required to adopt the same thing? Put another way, the custom issue and issue hierarchy for each project created by an organisation must be the same?

Suggest an answer