Custom filed with the dropdown menu where one of the options needs specific information added

Jasna Stefanovic November 29, 2022

Dropdown:

1.  Information xyz
  2. Information 123

If you pick Information 123 then it will ask you for: 

Summary
              Description
              Hostname(s) to Whitelist
              IP/Subnet to Whitelist
              What this IP/Subnet represents
               Comments

Could someone help?

thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2022

Hi again @Jasna Stefanovic and thanks for the additional details.

If I understand correctly, you're typing to display certain fields based on a selection in a custom field, right? If so, there's no built-in conditional logic to handle that, which is why I suggested the custom issue-type route. You could of course, also use a separate Jira project, but YUCK!

So on to other potential ideas:

You may be able to add this capability with an app from the Atlassian Marketplace and/or custom scripting.

I'd also check out Jira's new-ish web form functionality. It's not exactly what you're looking for either, but at least you could provide one form to use for each scenario. (There will be some end user education needed (e.g. when to use which form), of course.)

To try out forms:

forms.png

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you!

Rachel Wright
Author, Jira Strategy Admin Workbook

Jasna Stefanovic December 1, 2022

Thanks for replaying again to my follow-up .. I will try to create some custom scripting. I just thought there would be some less complex way to handle this situation.

0 votes
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2022

Hi @Jasna Stefanovic,

Thanks for the helpful details in your example. I assume if the selection is "Information xyz" then there will be a different set of fields presented?

If an issue/request/task/whatever needs a different set of screens, a different workflow, or both, that's a great use case for multiple and/or custom issue types in your project's issue type scheme.

Here's how to set it up:

1. Visit Admin > Issues > Issue types and add two new custom issue types.
  2. Visit Admin > Issues > Issue type schemes and add the two new custom issue types to the scheme used by the applicable Jira project.

Here's how the "Create" screen might look to the end user:

custom-issue-types.png

PS - Jira's "Summary" field is required for every Jira issue, regardless of the project and/or issue type.

If that doesn't answer your question, please reply and I or someone else form the community will try to help.

Thanks and have a great rest of your day!

Rachel Wright
Author, Jira Strategy Admin Workbook

Thanks for responding Rachel. I have not explained well enough.

In a specific custom issue we now have a custom field that has a dropdown values:

1. value a

2. value b

if a team member creates an issue type where this dropdown is available and she picks 

no. 2 'value b'

then they have to complete the following under value b:

Summary
              Description
              Hostname(s) to Whitelist
              IP/Subnet to Whitelist
              What this IP/Subnet represents
               Comments

I hope this is more clear,

thanks in advance

ps. summary can be named 'more info'