Custom fields not shown in the Admin Custom field list

Paddy Fotovich April 3, 2019

I know this has been recently addressed several time but none of the answers appears to address my similar issue.

I'm running Jira 7.13.0 with ScriptRunner and Exocet plugins.

The html output of the page looks like this:

<section class="aui-page-panel-content">
<header class="aui-page-header">...</header>
<p>...</p>
<div id="customfields-container"></div>
<div id="custom-fields-loading-indicator"></div>
</section>

I can run the below REST request and see all the fields. None appear to have a malformed description.

https://myjira.mycompany.com/rest/api/2/customFields?maxResults=500

Any suggestion on how to identify the problem and fix it?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Paddy Fotovich April 11, 2019

Update:

Looks like there has to be TWO language packs enabled in order to view the Admin custom fields list. I verified this by enabling and disabling the English (United Kingdom) language pack with the English (United States) language pack already installed and enabled. With both enabled the custom fields can be views. Disabling the UK package caused the page to not render the custom field list.

See here for more details:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-67956

Thanks for the help @Tilwin Joy .

0 votes
Tilwin Joy
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2019

Hi,

Could you check if Enable HTML in custom field descriptions and list item values in general jira configuration is enabled?
There can be a custom field that has erroneous JavaScript in it's description.
Turning this off and checking if you can access the page can confirm if this is the case.

If that does not help, could you go to the custom fields page, press F12, select "console" tab and see if there are any errors?

Paddy Fotovich April 8, 2019

Enable HTML in custom field descriptions is OFF.

Console output just shows some warnings regarding using the deprecated Dropdown instead of Dropdown2.

When I do a REST get for the custom fields I see all the fields and none appear to have ill-formatted. descriptions.

I know there have been something changed in my production version that occurred after I took a snapshot of the data to use in my development version. The development version with the snapshot data shows the custom fields.

Is there a way I can trace the changes to the custom fields since the snapshot was taken?

Paddy Fotovich April 10, 2019

An update:

More background info:

I updated my development version with the data from the production version. A few days later the production version stopped showing the Custom Fields in the admin screen (see the original post for details). When I compare the REST request for the custom fields between the two version, the output didn't exactly match up. A couple of the fields that have the same Name and Description have different ids and a couple of fields that have the same ids have different Name and Description.

I've deleted the discrepant custom fields and re-indexed but still don't see the Custom Field list. I can access and interact with the fields by replacing field ids in the url but this is far from an optimal solution.

All integrity checks pass.

Any ideas on how to investigate possible database integrity issues with the custom fields?

Tilwin Joy
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 10, 2019

Hi, could you try adding the feature flag `jira.customfields.paginated.ui.disabled`, and see if the old view works?
Just trying to ensure if this is a database integrity issue or not

Paddy Fotovich April 10, 2019

Added the suggest flag and still nothing in the Admin Custom Field list page.

Tilwin Joy
Atlassian Team
April 11, 2019

Only reason I can think of for the page to remain at the loading state (`<div id="custom-fields-loading-indicator"></div>`) is due to a JavaScript error stopping script execution.

Or this request

https://myjira.mycompany.com//rest/api/2/customFields?startAt=1&maxResults=25 

fails, but in this case you should see an error flag if Javascript is still being executed

Paddy Fotovich April 11, 2019

Thanks for the reply.

https://myjira.mycompany.com/rest/api/2/customFields

works just fine. I can retrieve all the custom fields and review their content. It is what I used to compare the custom fields between the development and production versions.

Given that the customFields REST command works, I'm looking for help in debugging

why

https://myjira.mycompany.com/secure/admin/ViewCustomFields.jspa

is not returning the custom fields. I agree with you the problem suggests ill-formed JS somewhere. I just need help identifying where "somewhere" is.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Suggest an answer