Custom fields in advanced roadmap plans

Mike Ferrier April 5, 2021

I'm using a custom field for planning releases but Advanced Roadmap plans do not allow version pickers as custom field types.  Any thoughts as to when that will be added to plans or another approach I can take? 

2 answers

0 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2021

Hi @Mike Ferrier ,

One of the limitations in Advanced Roadmaps is that a plan will only display and allow you to set a single release on any issue (whereas you can actually set multiple releases on the issue directly). The reason for this limitation is due to the Auto-Scheduling (formerly "Calculate" in Portfolio) algorithm that relies on only a single value being used.

I'm not 100% sure, but I imagine that of the reasons we aren't supporting the version picker custom field is to avoid the inconsistencies between the main release field and other version picker fields. To be honest we haven't had much call to support the version picker custom field type (there's a relatively low number of votes on this) - but I'll raise this again with our PM team. 

As well as voting on the suggestion I would also recommend using the "Give Feedback" button within a plan to register this request as this also feeds into rankings for feature requests and will give further visibility.

It would be really useful to understand your use case here - especially as releases / versions have a very specific meaning within Jira. How are you using them in a custom context?

Regards,

Dave

0 votes
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2021

@Mike Ferrier - there's an open suggestion to support for version picker custom fields, JPOSERVER-1970. Vote it up if you agree with it! There's no clear timeline for that suggestion, unfortunately.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events