Custom field not added when creating new projects

Ian McCullough February 26, 2021

Hi,

I created a new custom field (a multiple picking field) that I would like to be added to projects moving forward. However, when I create a new project, it does not appear as an option in my issue. I've added it to default field configurations and default screen schemes. I'm at a lost to why it's not showing.

Thanks,

Linda

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2021

Hi Linda - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

One thing to try would be to click the Configure Fields button while in the Create screen. Then click on Where's my field? 

Type in your field and see what response you get back. 

Ian McCullough February 26, 2021

I'm not sure where is Create Screen. I'm using Jira Cloud.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2021

Just the screen when you click on the Create button.

Ian McCullough March 9, 2021

I cannot find Where's my field.

When I create an issue, I first have to type it to create it. Once created then it allows me to go into the issue to edit the fields. No where does it give me an option for configure fields button.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 9, 2021

Is this a Classic Software project? 

Assuming yes, then go to Settings > Issues > Screens

Find your screen and click on Configure to add fields to the Create screen. 

You will need to be a Jira Administrator to do that. 

Ian McCullough March 9, 2021

Yes, I actually see it now.

It's saying that the field is not included in the field screen. However, I had added the field in the Default Screen. But when a new project is created, it doesn't add that as an option. I have to keep adding it in screens.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 9, 2021

When you create a new screen with a new screen scheme, it's basically one screen serving three functions - Create, Edit and View. That's what is called the Default Screen.

But there can be three separate screens for each function - Create Screen, Edit Screen and View Screen. 

If you create a screen per project (the default) and don't use shared screens, then yes, you will need to add to every screen for every project that you want to see that field for at create. 

Ian McCullough March 10, 2021

How do you use the shared screen?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 10, 2021

A shared screen is just a screen that is part of a screen scheme that is used by more than one project. 

Ian McCullough March 10, 2021

How would you point to the share screen during project creation so the custom field would be added?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 10, 2021

You need to add the field to the screen before creation. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events