Custom database entities - is anyone managing in a separate database?

Matt Strandberg March 29, 2018

Hello,

One thing we've noticed about Jira is that it does not appear to have a mechanism for creating custom tables for storing related data and meta data.  There are add-ons such as Insight that help, though they are more complex in terms of getting the data out later.  We are considering creating a separate database with the tables and joins we need then using an external database connection (via add-on) to pull the data into Jira as needed.

I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this problem and what their solution has been?  Also, is anyone using an external database like I described?  What are the potential pitfalls?

Thanks,

Matt

2 answers

0 votes
Alexander Sundström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2018

Hi Matt,

I'm working with Insight, Insight is a great add on for connecting you assets to your tickets in JIRA and Service Desk. 

Let me know if you need any information from us that could help you further, our documentation is also available online for more information: https://documentation.riada.se/insight/latest

Cheers!
Alexander

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2018

The recommended method is to use the Active Objects layer built into Jira.

I've seen external databases connected to, but not really for holding Jira data - they seem to be too slow and unreliable, and you can't pull the data into Jira proper without writing entire DAO and Jira integration plugins, which you can usually do more easily by using Active Objects.

Suggest an answer