Custom agile board columns not shown

Jacob Page April 5, 2013

We have an "agile board" (Rapid Board?) that our board administrator added additional columns to. These columns show up in the configuration for the board, but they are not being displayed in the "Work" view of the board. Is this a known bug? If not, what could be causing these columns to be omitted?

Update:

A potential hint is that the new columns do show up if there's an item in them, but empty columns are not shown.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2013

Hi-

Have you mapped statuses to your rapid board? If you do not have statuses mapped to the columns the column will not show up in "work mode".

To map a status to your rapid board:

1. Open the board configuration screen

2. Go to the columns screen (second tab)

3. On the left you will see "unmapped statuses", drag a status to the additional column.

Even if you have statuses mapped to a column but 0 issues in that status, the column should show up in work mode.

Hope this helps!

Jacob Page April 5, 2013

Ha, looks like I entered my answer around the same time as yours. That is indeed the cause.

BA Panda May 10, 2019

I am facing the same issue but not able to see the unmapped statuses. Can someone help please?

Ashish Bijlwan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2020

Hi BA,

Check your board filter query.

For example:

If your board query is something like Project = xyz and issuetype in (Epic) order by RANK ASC

And the Epic has only 4 statuses i.e. Open, On Hold, In Progress and Closed, then in the board column you will only get these 4 statuses and the unmapped column will be empty.

Because the board will show the issues based on the filter query and only those statues will appear in board column which is available in the issue type. 

So to have other statuses in unmapped Column, include the issue type in your Filter Query.

0 votes
Ashish Bijlwan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2020

Check your board filter query.

For example:

If your board query is something like Project = xyz and issuetype in (Epic) order by RANK ASC

And the Epic has only 4 statuses i.e. Open, On Hold, In Progress and Closed, then in the board column you will only get these 4 statuses and the unmapped column will be empty.

Because the board will show the issues based on the filter query and only those statues will appear in board column which is available in the issue type. 

So to have other statuses in unmapped Column, include the issue type in your Filter Query.

0 votes
Jacob Page April 5, 2013

It seems that the cause may be that the columns are not tied to existing Jira statuses. We'll look into introducing new statuses, but since that would effect our whole "Project," not just our board, we have to get larger buy-in. Hopefully someone can give a different answer where we can less intrusively customize our board.

Suggest an answer