Custom Report? Pie chart of Project into Epic slices by Story Points

T.J. Mitchell
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 13, 2021

Hi! So my boss wants to know how to create a report from our project to show basically a pie chart where each slice is an Epic or Epic Link category. We want the size of the slices to be scaled according to the number of Story Points included in that Epic. 

We're mostly mechanical engineers, so we all feel like we're either breaking new ground or just fumbling around when it comes to Agile and Jira. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

The closest thing I've found is the Workload Pie Chart at the bottom of the projects menu, but it reports by "Estimates" (hours) not "Story Points". 

I have not found a way to even make a custom report, if you want anything outside of the presets. I am missing something?

Thanks!

3 answers

2 votes
Gorka Puente _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 16, 2021

Hi @T.J. Mitchell ,

As @Trudy Claspill indicates, there's no way of doing that custom report with the native mechanisms that Jira provides. One of the commercial apps that allows to create such reports and custom charts is ours: Dashboard Hub for Jira. It provides more than 60 different ready-to-go metrics and gadgets, integrations with 9 products (Jira Service Management, Opsgenie, Statuspage, Confluence, Insight...), ability to share your dashboards and reports... and you can create your own custom charts, for example, to create a pie chart where the slices are epics, and their size the story points:

Screenshot 2021-08-16 at 09.55.52.png

You can see more examples here: ITSM dashboard, Agile Team dashboard and DevOps dashboard.

Hope this helps!

0 votes
Sai_ManageEngine_AnalyticsPlus
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 13, 2021

Hello @T.J. Mitchell ,

As the community folks have mentioned earlier, there are not a lot of options to achieve this report using Jira's native mechanisms. Ours is an analytics app that enables you to create this report (and several more like this one) simply by dragging and dropping concerned columns in the report builder. Here's the report that I built using our app: Analytics Plus.

1.png

How I built the report:
I've populated the following columns in the report axes.
X-axis: Epic name
Y-axis: Story points
Filters: Project name
Adding 'Project name' in the filters enables you to view the 'project by epics' split up for various projects.

Custom-built for Jira Software, Analytics Plus comes with 150+ pre-built reports and dashboards straight out of the box that you can use to get instant insights into your project data.

Using Analytics Plus, you can,
1. Track progress of tasks, issues, epics, and more using prebuilt reports.
2. Predict, plan and map out project plans accurately.
3. Assess the complete project in a single dashboard to spot and troubleshoot bottlenecks.
4. Compare past project plans and completion schedules to measure the effectiveness of your project plans
5. Tag other stakeholders and discuss project plans from within the app.

If you're interested in trying out Analytics Plus, download the free trial here.

Disclaimer: I'm a product expert for Analytics Plus app.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2021

Jira does not provide a method in the UI for easily creating custom reports beyond the use of filters and the options available in the existing gadgets. There does not appear to be a native gadget that would give you what you want (specifically a pie chart).

Some gadgets can recognize custom fields, so you might be able to create a custom field in your epics to hold the some of the child issue story points, and then find a gadget that displays data in two dimensions that can display Epics and the custom field.

If you want to go beyond that, you either have to look at third party apps available in the Marketplace or doing custom code development to create your own custom dashboard gadgets.

Here is a starting point for a search of the Marketplace.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&product=jira&query=jira%20pie%20charts

Suggest an answer