Custom Filed usage and Details

Arvind Pandey November 14, 2020

How I can find the list of Active and unused Custom fields to know the Usage details of these fields .

4 answers

2 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2020

Hi @Arvind Pandey,

There is some information available about the use of your custom fields out of the box, although it does indeed require some digging into.

If you head over (as an admin) to Settings > Issues > Custom fields, you get the list of all custom fields in your instance, split across active and trashed:

Custom-fields-JIRA.png

You can sort the list by clicking the column headers. Especially the last two columns do provide you with some information about usage:

Screens and context

If a field is not on any screens, you can be quite sure that - at least currently - it is not being used.

Last used

The last date any information is shown here should represent the last time information was entered through this custom field. No information or Not tracked are an indication that the field probably does not contain any data.

To be on the safe side, there is nothing wrong with double checking using JQL on fields you have doubts about. Such a filter would be e.g:

CAB is not EMPTY

This would return all issues across your Jira instance that have a value. In this case you would expect zero results.

Note: be sure to perform the search with an account that has access across all projects. Your search will only return issues you have access to!

0 votes
Hubert Kut
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 17, 2024

If you are investigating usage of custom fields or any other objects in Jira. Just try Doctor Pro for Jira where you can get comprehensive report of all your configuration. It is for DC and Cloud as well. Data governance can be simple!

0 votes
Alexey Dorofeyev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2021
0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2020

Hi Arvind,

welcome to the Atlassian Community!

On Cloud (especially Cloud Free plan) the possibilities are a bit restricted. On a server environment there were several Apps providing this as well as the possibility to access the database. While this was never really recommended in some rare cases this allowed additional insights - done best on a replica which was non-productive (and additional caution).

For cloud there is still "Optimizer" available from Marketplace.
Please note that this App is a commercial one and you would need to pay some extra money if you want to go this way.

Well, as for Jira cloud natively - I guess there is some manual inventory needed. You could check using JQL if there are unused custom fields, look at several Jira projects, talk to the users.

I found an additional cleaning up article:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/clean/jira-cleanup-guide-1018788576.html

You could read through the steps by means of a high-level guide - many information are aimed towards Server as well, but some are applicable to Cloud as well.

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events