Custom Field Help!

Jordan Trinklein April 5, 2023

Hello!

I am needing some guidance on an issue I am experiencing with how to make sure a custom field that I've marked required for a set of projects isn't requiring a separate project to fill in the field.

Context: We have a field called "Product Area" that we want a few of our projects to have on issues so we can designate which area of our product it belongs to. We made this field required so authors have to include the data.

Our DevOps team has a project that does not need this product area. So I went into the field configuration scheme for this product and disassociated "Product Area" from the screen that the DevOps project is using, but for some reason, when we spin up a task in the DevOps project, it throws us an error saying that "Product Area is required" even though Product Area isn't a field on the issue to manipulate.

Am i missing a step somewhere in this crazy long string of schemes and screens that I need to look at? I can't find it anywhere.

Thank you for any help you can provide community!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2023

The field configuration scheme will only remove the field from the screens, you would also have to your field configuration (go to Project settings > Issues) and either make the field optional or hidden.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2023

Here is a good page that gives you an overview of how all the schemes work together. It is from the DC/Server documentation, but the same thing applies to Cloud.

Like # people like this
Jordan Trinklein April 10, 2023

Thanks for the help Mikael!

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS