• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Creating tasks as child issues of epic issue - Automation

I would like to create Epic issue with predefined children task issues automatically. 

When Created Issue = Epic

Than Create Issues as children to the triggered issue:

Task1

Task2

Task3

Thank you for your help.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

I have the same problem. This automation does not contain a rule to place the issue as a child issue of an Epic in my Next Gen roadmap. The automated tasks just appear in the backlog. 
Project_automation_-_Jira.jpg

0 votes
Jack Community Leader Apr 15, 2020

Hi Jakub,

here is an example of an automation I created for the same. i create multiple tasks and sub-tasks as well.

Project_automation_-_JIRA.jpg

Thank you very much. But this example creates a task which doesn't belong to the epic I have just created. 

I would like to have task as a child to the epic.

I have the same request, to create an epic and automatically create child issues

I do have the same problem. I was able to create issues when an epic was created but wasn't able to connect them to the newly created epic. Or any suggestion from your side @Jack ?

FinalIy I was able to solve this problem doing the following:

screenshot_03.png

The outcome looks like this:screenshot_02.png

Like # people like this

Hi @Luki

Great, it works perfectly. Thank you so much! 

Like # people like this

@Luki Thank you so much! This is making my Nex Gen project super automated :D

Like # people like this

Can someone advise what is the "Trigger Issue" in the Epic Link..

So I have a slightly different issue with this.  I need to create an Epic and then create stories attached to the epic.  But instead of the trigger being to create an issue, we need to have the trigger be a schedule.  They are quarterly tasks that have to be done.

Any thoughts on this?

This last run, it created the Epic needed on the scheduled day/time.  And it created the tasks needed.  However, it didn't link the tasks to the created Epic.

Anyone know what I'm missing?

I have done something similar that I suspect might be the answer for you. I created an epic and an epic task on a manual trigger.

Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 07.58.42.png

You can see I am creating an epic in one project and adding a task to the epic from a different project. I also send an email to the initiator to remind them to update the epic and child ticket. Hoping "Current Issue" resolves your problem in combination with the branch.

I have an Epic created on a schedule and then use the branch - "Most Recently Created New Issue" to create Tasks within it, using the "Epic Link" and Trigger Issue.

EpicAutomation.png

However, what I can't do is then create sub-tasks under some of those Tasks.

Creating sub-tasks off the current or trigger all come under the Epic directly, rather than the most recent Task.

I can't nest another branch within that branch either, and trying it from the root just links back to the original Epic.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Announcing the waitlist for Jira Work Management

Hey there Cloud Community members! We’re excited to give you the first glimpse of the new home for business teams on Jira — Jira Work Management. Jira Work Management is the next generation of J...

637 views 10 16
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you