Creating tasks as child issues of epic issue - Automation

Jakub Zděblo April 15, 2020

I would like to create Epic issue with predefined children task issues automatically. 

When Created Issue = Epic

Than Create Issues as children to the triggered issue:

Task1

Task2

Task3

Thank you for your help.

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Deleted user April 20, 2020

I have the same problem. This automation does not contain a rule to place the issue as a child issue of an Epic in my Next Gen roadmap. The automated tasks just appear in the backlog. 
Project_automation_-_Jira.jpg

2 votes
erin.day September 2, 2022

How do you set up automation to set up daily Tasks to an existing epic?

I have the automation set up to give me a daily task. However, I now need that daily task to populate under an existing epic.

0 votes
Teja June 28, 2021

How to achieve this in Jira server using script runner (Issues in Epic)

0 votes
Jeremy Fischer September 16, 2020

So I have a slightly different issue with this.  I need to create an Epic and then create stories attached to the epic.  But instead of the trigger being to create an issue, we need to have the trigger be a schedule.  They are quarterly tasks that have to be done.

Any thoughts on this?

This last run, it created the Epic needed on the scheduled day/time.  And it created the tasks needed.  However, it didn't link the tasks to the created Epic.

Anyone know what I'm missing?

David Hayward September 30, 2020

I have done something similar that I suspect might be the answer for you. I created an epic and an epic task on a manual trigger.

Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 07.58.42.png

You can see I am creating an epic in one project and adding a task to the epic from a different project. I also send an email to the initiator to remind them to update the epic and child ticket. Hoping "Current Issue" resolves your problem in combination with the branch.

Alex Wasserman September 30, 2020

I have an Epic created on a schedule and then use the branch - "Most Recently Created New Issue" to create Tasks within it, using the "Epic Link" and Trigger Issue.

EpicAutomation.png

However, what I can't do is then create sub-tasks under some of those Tasks.

Creating sub-tasks off the current or trigger all come under the Epic directly, rather than the most recent Task.

I can't nest another branch within that branch either, and trying it from the root just links back to the original Epic.

Isaiah John April 11, 2023

Yeah it would be much better if they provided us with more branching ability. I don't know is JSON currently supports it though.

Also, it would be best if they provided a web chart to further customize the workflow similar to the one seen in Sal sify

Alvaro Landin September 19, 2023

It could come to late but this link could solve the creating sub-tasks as children query. I did have the same problem and we solve it here.

Hope it could be helpful.

Solved: Create recurrent sub-task under a specific story (atlassian.com)

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2020

Hi Jakub,

here is an example of an automation I created for the same. i create multiple tasks and sub-tasks as well.

Project_automation_-_JIRA.jpg

Jakub Zděblo April 15, 2020

Thank you very much. But this example creates a task which doesn't belong to the epic I have just created. 

I would like to have task as a child to the epic.

Like # people like this
Joanna Boehme May 1, 2020

I have the same request, to create an epic and automatically create child issues

Like # people like this
Luki May 18, 2020

I do have the same problem. I was able to create issues when an epic was created but wasn't able to connect them to the newly created epic. Or any suggestion from your side @Jack Brickey ?

Luki May 18, 2020

FinalIy I was able to solve this problem doing the following:

screenshot_03.png

The outcome looks like this:screenshot_02.png

Like # people like this
Jakub Zděblo May 19, 2020

Hi @Luki

Great, it works perfectly. Thank you so much! 

Like # people like this
Deleted user May 20, 2020

@Luki Thank you so much! This is making my Nex Gen project super automated :D

Like # people like this
Kavitha Chikkam January 15, 2021

Can someone advise what is the "Trigger Issue" in the Epic Link..

Like # people like this
BrentBot_ April 15, 2021

@Luki I have tried both of the above and i am still not getting a positive result. We use kanban only right now and have a hierarchy of :

initiative

epic

child issues

The child issues are issue types we created such as step 1, step 2 etc within our org's workflow. Bottom line, when i follow the above steps, no child issues are added, as if they are not even being made. I read some where that you need script runner for the cloud automation to work; is this true? do you guys all have script runner in your bundle as well to execute automation.

Thank you for any help; we are trying to vastly reduce our setup time for our projects

BrentBot_ April 15, 2021

nevermind! i figured it out!!

Tatyana Fermon May 9, 2021

@BrentBot_  don't never mind - what did you figure out, please? :)

Swati Thapliyal October 12, 2021

Even I tried the same but no results. Can any one explain what else to be done after setting up "Trigger Issue" in the Epic Link.

Nico Steenkiste November 22, 2021

I did also not work for me, but I was able to fix it, just by adding a "refetch data" just before the actual creation of the child issue. 

Screenshot 2021-11-22 at 15.58.29.png

Like birgit_nigulas likes this
birgit_nigulas November 29, 2021

thank you @Nico Steenkiste ! 

Nico Steenkiste November 29, 2021

@birgit_nigulas  You're Welcome!

Mourad Marzouk May 5, 2022

I'm not getting any of those options, just copy from...Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 8.06.03 PM.png

Like # people like this
Wim Matthijs June 2, 2022

@Mourad Marzouk If the issue that starts the automation is the epic you want to attach children to, you can use {{triggerIssue}}
if the epic is in a branch you can simply use {{issue}}

{{issue}} simply represents the current acting issue
Good luck

Like # people like this
Ron Skyberg June 29, 2022

Thank you, This works perfectly for me.... So far. :)

Sara Palmitessa July 28, 2022

My tasks are within my Epic when I follow the steps above but when looking at the List view, each of my tasks are separate and not nested under my Epic. I feel like I have tried everything to try to put them under the Epic

> Goal: I can collapse and expand the Epic to see the Tasks in the List view

> Current Status: In the List view, the Epic and Task are not nested, so I cannot collapse or expand to get the associated tasks, (see picture - the expand arrow does not list anything underneath)jira.PNG

Like Steph Bannister likes this
Joao Borges September 15, 2022

I am having the same issue @Sara Palmitessa  , were you able to figure out ?

Sara Palmitessa September 15, 2022

@Joao Borges Argh, No! - I have not been able to figure it out and it is driving me nuts to see all of my Epics AND tasks on my List View.  As far as I know, it is not a capability yet but I could be wrong.  Anyone who knows how to fix it and nest the tasks under the Epics, please let me know!!!

Like # people like this
Steph Bannister November 4, 2022

I want to do the same thing and have the same issue! I am using a business project and wondering if maybe this is the reason?

The only way I can see to nest tasks is to create subtasks instead of tasks under an epic when the epic is created using automation.

tHe rest of the tips on this thread work correctly though.

ps: I am using a checkbox on a "trigger" task to setup a set of pre-defined epics and tasks automatically for a new project creation. this I find kind of neat. here is my automation rule...

FYI the "Summary starts with" condition can be left out...

Screenshot 2022-11-04 130532.png

Luke Campbell January 27, 2023
Andreas Schäfer September 24, 2023

@Wim Matthijs thank you very much! This worked with {{triggerIssue}}. Where did you find this information? 
I didnt know that you could put stuff like this in an automation.

Wim Matthijs September 28, 2023

@Andreas SchäferBased on previous experience and messing around in JIRA.

You can try googling "Jira smart values"

Monica Morris October 19, 2023

@Wim Matthijs Thank you so much for your suggestion, using {{triggerIssue}} smart value in the Epic Link field worked for me!

I am on Cloud and tried using 'Copy from issue', 'Copy from Epic', and 'Copy from trigger issue' for Epic Link and none of them worked for me. The issues that were auto-created as a result of those rules were not Child issues of the trigger Epic.

When I used {{triggerIssue}} smart value, the auto-created issue was finally created as a Child issue of the trigger Epic.

Thank you again!!

Like Wim Matthijs likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events