Creating projects without being an admin

Daniel Gatere August 19, 2022

I am intending to allow users to create projects in my jira software,, but however I do not wan't to make them administrators. Is there any way I can give this kind of permissions? Please help

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2022

Have you considered TMP projects? Those do not require any Admin permissions. If CMP is required then they must have at least Project admin permissions.

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2022

I agree with what Jack said. But if CMP is required then they must have Administer Jira global permission.

Like # people like this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 19, 2022

If you want to allow non-Admins to create Company Managed projects you would need to use a third party app like

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211157/delegated-project-creator-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

...or create your own interface to the REST API for creating projects, giving that interface to your users and using an administrator account behind the scenes in that interface.

Generally speaking I would discourage you from allowing any and all users to create projects. This can result in a proliferation of projects that becomes unmanageable. If you need cross team reporting for these projects (for you management team), you need to be able to control the creation and configuration of the projects to ensure they are configured in a manner that supports the reporting.

If you want to let users create projects and control their configuration as they wish, then Team Managed projects is the way to go. Note though that Team Managed projects are "stan alone" in that nothing in them is shared with other projects. You can't share workflow configurations or custom fields, and they do not have all the robust configuration options available in Company Managed projects.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events