Creating custom field to enable requirements acceptance / rejection for peer-review

Alexander Bergmayr July 15, 2019

To collect the results of several reviewers being invited to a review of requirements, we are wondering whether it is possible to create a "reviewer-specific" custom field that allows them to either accept or reject a requirement. That means, the field value may vary depending on the reviewer's assessment of the requirement and can therefore not be a common field of the requirement, e.g., like the "status field".

We are rather looking for a field that represents the user-specific assessment result, where the "sum" of these individual assessment results might be used to derive a common requirements status.

Many thanks for your help … Alexander       

1 answer

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2019

I have done something similar.

Approvals

You want several groups to approve an issue before proceeding. It requires a bit of work on the workflow, but simple stuff.  I use project roles for user permissions.

Create a select list for each area with N/A, Yes, No options

Create a transition from the status where you want them to approve for each group with the condition of only users in 'that' project role can execute it and the related select list must be empty. Each group will only see their transition and it isn't set. Have the transition go back to the initial status.

As each group completes the goes through their transition to approve or deny the transitions will disappear.

Now you need to decide how to proceed if there is a No selected by any group. I usually open a transition to a status of something like Rework Needed, or More Information Needed. and then go through the approving status again. If all options are Yes of N/A I make a transition to the next status available.

Alexander Bergmayr July 17, 2019

Many thanks Joseph for your response! If I understood your appraoch correctly, we would need to create as many select list fields as reveiwers are planned to be invited. The groups / user permissions need to be set up and fixed as a prerequisite for a review process.

I am looking for a more dynamic approach (or I did not fully understood your proposal) since we do have several running requirements projects where the experts that need to be invited for review changes depending on e.g., the topic / raised issues / current phase of the projects etc. This would required to involve Jira admins to modify permissions, create new fields, … to let experts participate in the review.

I was hoping that the platform is providing such functionality or plugins are available for organizing and managing requirements reviews.

Many thanks … Alexander

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2019

I'm not aware of a plugin that provides this.  You are correct about the approach. The approach is based on the same set reviewers. Since it is project role based the project lead can assign anyone to the roles.  You can allow the project admin to execute any of the transitions to set the value to N/A for roles that aren't involved in a particular decision. A JIRA admin is only required to create the project roles and setup the workflow. . 

Suggest an answer