Creating and Tracking Annual Project Goals

Shanhan Bonham January 20, 2020

Hello Community 

Is there a standard method or Market Place Add-on that enables the ability to create a Project Goal, and then track the progress of meeting that goal?

e.g. Set Calendar Year Goal for Widget Creation = 100,000. Track the progress to achieve that goal.

2 answers

1 vote
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 3, 2020

Hi @Shanhan Bonham

Please have a look at tracking possibilities in BigPicture. 

Please note that our tool can display Jira custom fields (Story point included) and aggregate their value both on the parent/epic and Project level. See my image below.
image (32).png

Moreover, you can track children's statuses displaying aggregated data in percentage or number.

Anytime you can collapse a detailed view and observe project progress on the highest level. Below you can see data aggregated on the Program level. As you see, there are 22% tasks, “To do,” 44 are “In Progress,” and 33% are “Done”. The overall number of Story Points in the Program is 48.
image (33).pngIn the latest BigPicture 8 version, you can track data on the Projects Portfolio level.

image (34).png

Moreover, I would like to inform you that on our Product Roadmap is a new, interesting feature: ONE-1721. Please follow the link to be up to date with the functionality progress. Please note that it is best to open the link in the incognito tab of your browser.

BigPicture offers more possibilities to monitor how healthy your projects are. Please let me know if you are interested in more detailed information.  

Best,

Anna
SoftwarePlant Support

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 22, 2020

Hello @Shanhan Bonham

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

The quick answer to your question is: Yes, there are some Marketplace add-ons that you can use to set your annual goals, based on projects, releases or sprints.

I suggest you check if one of the add-ons below provide what you are looking for:

Goals for Jira 

OKR Board for Jira 

BigPicture - Project Management & PPM 

Also, feel free to look at the Atlassian Marketplace for other options.

Let us know in case you have any specific functionality that you were not able to find with the provided apps.

Shanhan Bonham January 22, 2020

Thank you!

I'll review the suggestions and see if I can find the functionality I am after.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2020

You are welcome, @Shanhan Bonham

Let us know in case you have any questions.

Shanhan Bonham January 23, 2020

I haven't been able to achieve what I wanted to.

Our organisation has a goal target of a non-standard metric like story points. I want to be able to set the target value and track our progress towards it. It is a numerical value and I have a Custom field for that value on the Story issue. As the story is resolved as successful, I want to display and report on the progress on the gains towards meeting the target.

I still need to try BigPicture.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
January 24, 2020

Hello @Shanhan Bonham

Thank you for the details provided.

Per your last description, I believe that you could use an Epic issue to achieve what you want.

An Epic is a large body of work that can be broken down into a number of smaller stories, allowing you to create an "Annual Epic" to track all the work you needed to perform during the year about a specific product/functionality.

Please, take a look at the documentation below to better understand how the Epic works and what information you will have with the Epic report in case you decide to implement my suggestion:

Working with Epics 

Epic Report 

Let us know if it makes sense.

Suggest an answer