Creating a custom report

Mara Julin May 18, 2022

Hi all,

We have a request from our Chief Product Officer to create a report after each sprint for our squads and to follow a very specific template (see below). 

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 3.49.08 PM.png

I imagine some part of this would be manual, but I'd like to understand if anyone has any ideas of how we might be able to get at this data? Even if we can get 70% there that would be immensely helpful.

So far the best I can think of is:

• Set up automations to add a label for any ticket that matches certain epics our teams use that fall within the categories of (bugs, interruptions, tech debt, new work) --> although there could be an automation cap potentially?
  • Go into each project's issue navigator for "completed issues" and export it into sheets
  • Filter by label and count up the points per category
  • Use the points to calculate the % and add it to the report

^that said though this only solves getting this information for "completed" points and those 4 categories. We still wouldn't have the data for the "committed" column or rolled over points.

For additional context, we use company management projects. I am also open to paid add ons or extensions if it helps get us what we want.

Thanks!

5 answers

2 votes
Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 19, 2022

@Mara Julin 

Better Excel Exporter comes with a built-in pivot report called "Committed vs Completed".

This would be a good starting point to modify a little bit and create the report you need, by adding extra columns like "Comments" in your example.

Note that Excel templates are freely customizable to fit custom requirements like in your case.

Give it a try and reach out if you run into difficulties, our technical support is always available to guide you through the process of creating your custom Jira Software report template.

committed-vs-completed.png

1 vote
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 18, 2022

Hi @Mara Julin

I think you're correct that some manual work will be required; however, there's many reporting apps in the Atlassian Marketplace that could get you very close and will likely save you a substantial amount of time. Just to name an example, eazyBI is very powerful and popular; perhaps someone else can speak on how to approach your problem with it. 

I can also see you getting pretty far with the app that my team is working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing (and, where it makes sense, inline-editing) all your issue fields. It also supports grouping your issues based on any issue field, plus calculating sum-ups across these groups of issues. If needed, you can export the resulting issue structure to Excel/Google Sheets for further processing.

Here's how issue grouping looks in action; in your case, you will want to group by different fields (such as "Squad" and "Project"?) and view other fields (such as your story points), but that's very easy to configure. 

grouping-overview.gif

Hope this helps, and please don't hesitate to reach out if there's any questions!

Best,

Hannes

0 votes
Roberts Čāčus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2022

Hi @Mara Julin ,

You can create reports with the desired information in eazyBI. Thank you @Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira for the suggestion.

That could require two reports that have to be "glued" together and the Comments part added. I don't have exact examples, but you can browse our Demo account to get the gist of the app's capabilities - https://eazybi.com/accounts/1000/dashboards/14871-chart-types.

Let me know if you want to try it out and need assistance setting up the reports.

Best,

Roberts // support@eazybi.com

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
May 18, 2022

Hi @Mara Julin 

You can try out our add-on

Agile Tools 

and generate reports such as:

- Sum up values to see overall % progress for your Issue Hierarchy

- View the full hierarchy of linked issues, Portfolio/Advanced Roadmaps, Epics, and Subtasks.

- Apply a lot of filters to put the focus on the relevant data only

- how long colleagues have been assigned to issues

- Group your statuses to define your own Cycle/Lead times

- Track time spent by resources with multiple filters / category / grouping features

Epic Hierarchy.PNG

0 votes
Mara Julin May 18, 2022

For additional context we are using a company managed project. I am also open to paid add ons and extensions if it can get us the data we need.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events