Creating Parent links in automation rules (advanced Roadmaps / Premium)

jeroen_wilmes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2023

I guess I'm running against an issue of poor integration of advanced roadmaps into Jira.

I'm using a issue type in hierarchy, one level above the Epic, in advance Roadmaps 

Under some conditions I want to make automatically an epic and give that Epic the issue from Advanced roadmap as the Parent link (not to confuse with linked issues in JIRA!!).

Unfortunately I can not find the field "parent link" in the list when I create the automation rule.  

Am I correct that this is missing? If not, how can I fill the "parent link" field. If correct, is this issue already on the backlog from Atlassian to solve, as it really restricts the added value of Advanced Roadmaps? (more in general, the mix-up between link fields of JIRA and Parent link field for Adv Roadmaps works very confusing.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2023

Hi Jeroen,

You might try using the More options when creating the issue and add something like this:

{

"fields": {

"parent": {"key": "{{triggerIssue.key}}"}

}

}

Not sure whether it is the trigger issue or something else that is causing the trigger to happen so you might need to tweak that. 

jeroen_wilmes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2023

Thanks for answering. I tried couple of things but, not yet with success.

I have found out that Parent link from Advanced roadmaps is a customfield and I know the ID "customfield_13100".

when I use your code, replacing "parent" by "customfield_13100" it should work.

Assuming that {"key": " {{triggerissue.key}}"}. means: fill the customfield with the value of the key from the issue that triggers creating the new issue, Resulting the new issue to have the trigger issue as its parent.

{
"customfield_13100": {"key": "{{triggerissue.key}}"}
}

this is the error messasge. I get:

this is the error message I get: 

"Error creating issue
Operation value must be a string "(customfield _13100)""
jeroen_wilmes
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2023

I did try again with:

{
"Parent link": "{{triggerissue.key}}"
}
}

It works. 

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2023

Great! Glad you got it working. 

Like jeroen_wilmes likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events