Create new board -> Board from an existing project - Only a few projects show up

André Johnsson February 26, 2020

Hi,

I'm trying to create a new kanban board for an existing project but when I get to the project picker there are only about 20 projects available, out of north of 200 total projects. I googled a bit and I saw an answer that said it might have to do with permissions, but I'm completely new to Jira and can't find any permission settings that might be related to this. I am a system admin (with some restrictions), and I have set myself up as a project admin for the specific project I want to create the kanban board for. Does anyone have any ideas what permission might be stopping the project from showing up, or does anyone have any other idea what might be causing this?

Regards,

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2020

The only permission you should need on the project is the "Browse Issues" permission.  Check the project's permission scheme to see if your role(s) have been granted that permission.

Can you see the project in the Projects -> View All Projects menu?  (Note this is not the Admin view of projects, just the standard one).

André Johnsson February 27, 2020

Hi Pete,

I can see the project in the Projects -> View All Projects menu.

If I look through the Default Permission Scheme there are a few projects in that list that shows up in the project picker, but the majority of them don't.

But it doesn't seem like my project is associated with a permission scheme. When I view all the permission schemes and their associated projects I can not find my project anywhere in the list. Is it possible to have a project that isn't associated with a permission scheme?

Like Mark Johnson likes this
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2020

No, the project must have a Permission Scheme.  Go to the project settings and you will see which one it is configured to use.

These are all the options I can see in the project settings for projects in Jira Software, and I can't find any permission scheme within any of these options. I can see a lot more settings in Jira Service Desk. Could the issue here simply be that I haven't been given high enough admin rights within Jira Software?

project settings.png

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2020

You need to go into the specific project and look for settings, like this example:

Capture.JPG

Sorry, I should have been more clear. That view is from within the specific project after clicking "project settings" :)

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2020

Ah, looks like you are using a "next-gen" project.  What do you see under the "Access" link?

André Johnsson February 28, 2020

This is what can be seen under access:

access.png

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 28, 2020

Ok that's a next-gen project, so doesn't have Permission Schemes like classic projects to.

I'm not too familiar with them, but I notice it is marked as "Private" at the top, so that may be preventing it appearing in the list?

André Johnsson February 28, 2020

Ah okay so next gen projects have a different permissions setup from classic projects? I wasn't aware, that's good to know. The private on the top just means that only people who are invited to the project can view it, unfortunately. Since I'm invited to the group that shouldn't be an issue. 

I'm going to read up a bit more on next gen projects and see if I can manage to find a solution that way. Thank you for trying to help, Pete, I really appreciate it :)

Edit: I didn't manage to find out how to create a new board for the project (I'm not sure if it's possible with next gen projects?), but since there already was a board associated with it I was able to go to Project Settings -> Features and then disable sprint and backlog and the old board became exactly what I needed.

Suggest an answer