Create issue screen changes based on drop down selections

Orry Wright-Larson September 11, 2020

Hello,

Would it be possible on the create issue screen to add a custom drop down field that when the selection on the drop down is changed the fields are also changed or that the drop down selection can make certain fields mandatory. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2020

The fields available and their mandatory/optional status is tied to the issue type.

So the simple answer here is "yes" - the choice of issue type can control all the field behaviours (with the exception of summary - that has to be entered on every issue)

Dilan Kaplan December 3, 2020

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

Sorry I just would like to expand on this question if I could. 

I want to do a similar thing, however I have my issue types set to regions and so I don't want to create additional issue types to achieve field options.

What I am looking to do is have a particular screen based on a field selection. So for example:

Field type = Department

Based on Department - Secondary Field type menu changes options 

i.e. Department = Human Resources

Field option = C.V, Policy, Interview

Department = Marketing

Field option = Campaign, Ads, Newsletter etcetc

I have seen some information on cascading fields but I'm not sure if this is what I am looking for. Do you know if this can be done?

Thanks in advance

0 votes
andrewd September 13, 2020

Hello @Orry Wright-Larson ,

I am Andrew, service engineer for ThinkTilt, vendor for the product app ProForma.

Based on the details you've provided here for your use-case, I am confident that our ProForma product will suit your needs. We have a feature called conditional sections which can show/hide a section of field inputs/questions based on the answer of a question preceding the section.

Field questions in ProForma forms can be set either as mandatory or voluntary. Any validations on fields are applied when the form is submitted by the user.

Our forms can be linked to issue types and be shown to the user at issue creation time. The product is portable across all Jira platforms (Jira Core, Jira Software, Jira Service Desk) so they can linked to portal requests if you're using JSD. We also have an "Issue Forms" feature where users can initiate creation of an issue using the form directly. 

Check out our product and documentation here.

Let us know how you go.

Regards,

Suggest an answer