Create a standalone company managed project

Michele Sollecito
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 26, 2024

I can't use a team managed project, because I need to display information on my cards, and I can't (https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/customize-cards/ works only for company managed projects, and https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17336 is still nowhere near getting done).

I'm forced to create a company managed project, but I don't want to share any configuration with any other project. Quite the opposite, I'll need to make heavy changes, and want no other project to be affected by these.

Is there a way to create a detached configuration for a company managed project, so that any future changes to issue schemes, etc. doesn't affect any other project?

For now I believe my only option is to clone each configuration item separately, and link them together e.g., issue types, issue type schemes, workflows, etc.

Surely there must be a less painful way of achieving this?

Thanks in advance!

3 answers

3 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2024

Hi @Michele Sollecito and welcome to the Community!

The power of company managed projects is indeed in the fact that you can use an already existing configuration and benefit from the fact that updates to this configuration (i.e. the set of issue types, workflows, screens, permission and notification settings) immediately applies to all projects using that configuration.

Creating a separate configuration for a company managed project, however, is just as simple as for a team managed project. Just navigate to create project, select literally any template that closely or remotely resembles the configuration you like, select the company managed template and you have an isolated configuration. You will be able to tell by going to project settings > summary after creating the project, where you will see every part of the configuration being named "scheme for project KEY".

From that point onwards, you can modify every element of your configuration without impacting any other project.

Hope this helps!

Michele Sollecito
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 27, 2024

It does help, but the field configuration was not cloned for my company-wide project, and instead it's using the default one shared with other projects.

I wish there was a simple option at project creation to have a completely separate project.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2024

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

By default, a company-managed project creates its own isolated schemes for configuration.  You don't need to create any schemes yourself.

You actively have to change the option to share schemes when creating the project!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 26, 2024

Hello @Michele Sollecito 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Adding to what the others said...

Yes, you can have schemes that are associated to only one project so that changes you make to the schemes do not impact other projects.

However...

The content of those schemes are based on data available to all schemes. So, if you want a new issue type in that one project, you have to create a new issue type that could then be added to any project.

If you want a new custom field, likewise that new custom field could be added to schemes used by other Company Managed projects.

The custom fields, statuses, issue types, and so on that are used in Company Managed project schemes are Global entities that could be used in any Company Managed project's scheme. If you changed the name of a Status, for instance, since that Status is a Global entity then that change would affect all Company Managed projects where that Status was used in a workflow.

You will not be able to create new fields, statuses, screens, etc. and prevent them from being used in other Company Managed projects. There will always be a chance that some other project will reuse those global entities.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events