Andrea Ezeobiejesi March 9, 2021

When I create a board using a location object that looks like this:

"location": {             

"projectId"10001, 

"displayName""MY_PROJECT (MYP)",  

"projectName""MY_PROJECT",              

"projectKey""MYP",               

"projectTypeKey""software",   

"avatarURI""/secure/projectavatar?size=small&s=small&pid=10001&avatarId=10410",               

"name""MY_PROJECT (MYP)"            }

I get an error message saying the following:

Response: <Response [400]>
{
"errorMessages": [
"Unrecognized field \"projectId\" (Class com.atlassian.greenhopper.api.rest.bean.BoardCreateBean$LocationBean), not marked as ignorable\n at [Source: org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteInputStream@4fef046a; line: 1, column: 91] (through reference chain: com.atlassian.greenhopper.api.rest.bean.BoardCreateBean[\"location\"]->com.atlassian.greenhopper.api.rest.bean.LocationBean[\"projectId\"])"
]
}

The request goes through when I do not include location but then I have to manually set the location of the board in Jira. Does anyone know how to resolve this? Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 12, 2021

Hello @Andrea Ezeobiejesi,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

When creating a board via API, it’s necessary to set only two details on the location as David mentioned.

The documentation for Jira Cloud is this one: 

Please, use the endpoint below that will create a board on a specific project:

curl --request POST \
  --url 'https://xxxxxxxxxx.atlassian.net/rest/agile/latest/board' \
--user 'user@domain.com:API-TOKEN' \
  --header 'Accept: application/json' \
  --header 'Content-Type: application/json' \
  --data '{
  "name": "Board Via API",
  "type": "scrum or kanban",
  "filterId": 10000,
  "location": {
    "type": "project",
    "projectKeyOrId": "KEY"
  }
}'

Please, take your time to test and let us know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Angélica

0 votes
David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2021

Which Jira Software Cloud REST API endpoint are you sending the POST request to?

If you are sending the request to the /rest/agile/1.0/board endpoint, then you may want to re-read the documentation here, as the content of the location object can contain only two variables, 'type' and 'projectKeyOrID', like this:

"location": {"type": "<string>", "projectKeyOrId": "<string>" }

You seem to be trying to set the values of lots of different parameters that do not apply to the location object, or boards in general; for example, boards don't have avatars.

Apart from a location object, that endpoint accepts only three other parameters:

"name": "<string>", "type": "<string>", "filterId": <integer>

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events