Create a Sub-Task with Dynamic Summary Name

jose.chaves April 26, 2023

Hi all. I'm creating an automation that should create a new sub-task every time a checkbox is ticked in a field.

I have a checkbox field called "languages" with ~29 different languages. I want the automation to create a new sub-task for each language ticked, with that languages name as the summary.

Example: Spanish, English and French are ticked, we get three sub-tasks

Task 1: "Spanish"

Task 2: "English"

Task 3: "French"

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2023

Hi @jose.chaves and welcome to the community,

You can create a rule the one below:

rule001.png

On the advanced branching place the following:

rule002.png

And during the issue creation, place the following:

rule003.png

You can delete the audit logs, since I placed them for testing purposes.

Let me know if you succeeded!

jose.chaves April 27, 2023

Hi Alex, this indeed worked, thank you so much! 

One followup question.

The automation currently takes all the checked values and create the subtasks. If I were to uncheck any value or check a new one after the fact, it will create a new sub-task for all checked values at that moment, including the previous ones, creating some duplicates.

Do you know of any way to have JIRA Automation just create one sub-task per checked value once and not duplicate if the ticket is updated?

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2023

@jose.chaves before creating an issue you could:

• add a lookupissue component to search for issues connected to the same parent which have the same summary
  • If the size of the lookup is greater less than or equal to zero
  • Create the subtask

Suggest an answer