Create 'Sprint started' automation for multiple projects

Bart van der Heijden
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 1, 2024

Hi all,

I want to create a global automation that transitions issues from Backlog → To Do whenever their assigned sprint is started. However, as far as I'm aware you always need to specify a board when you want to use the Sprint Started trigger:

Screenshot 2024-05-01 130814.png

This is a limitation for me, since I want the automation to happen for any sprint that gets started in our organisation, and with the current trigger I would need to create 40+ automations (1 per project), which need to be constantly updated as new projects get added in the future.

Is anybody able to help me out with this problem?

2 answers

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2024

Hi @Bart van der Heijden and welcome to the Community!

The sprint started trigger is fired from a board. This is just how it is. However, a board (from company managed projects) can use a filter to pull in data from multiple projects, thus grouping the work for a team in a single, cross-project view.

That approach would/should reduce the number of separate boards and sprints and also the number of automation rules you need. But if you do want/need to have a separate scrum board for each individual project, there will be no other way - with automation - than creating an automation rule for each associated board.

Hope this helps!

0 votes
Matt Parks
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2024

If you have Scriptrunner, you can create a listener that will trigger off of the SprintStartedEvent that will execute the transition on all work items associated with that sprint. If this is something that you'd be interested in, I can post the code here.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events