Create JQL query for all subtasks of epics that have a specific property

Tom Van Laerhoven
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 11, 2023

I want to create a JQL filter that gets a list of all issues that are child of an epic with a specific property, in this case it should have a specific 'Roadmap Quarter' property. I tried variations of this:

"Epic Link" in ("type = Epic AND 'Roadmap Quarter[Dropdown]' = 2023Q1")

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ste Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2023

Hi @Tom Van Laerhoven 

This requires sub-querying - i.e setting parameters for the Epic, but returning a list of children.

You can't do this with native JQL, you'd need an App to extend the search functionality.

---

Apps that should be able to do this include...

...or look for another App on the Marketplace

---

You could then use a subquery - for example, in "Enhanced Search" you could use this query:

issueFunction in issuesInEpics("'Roadmap Quarter[Dropdown]' = 2023Q1")

---

Note: If you don't want to get an App, there is one other workaround using Automation...

• Use an Automation Rule to copy the "Roadmap Quarter" to an Epic's children

You can then reference the field at a Child Issue level - eg.

"Epic Link" is not EMPTY and "Roadmap Quarter" = 2023Q1

^ This avoids the need for a sub-query, making it possible to do in native JQL.

---

Let us know what you think! 

If you think the Automation Rule would work and would like some more detailed instructions on how to set this up - also let us know and we will be happy to assist :)

Ste

Tom Van Laerhoven
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 11, 2023

Ok, many thanks @Ste Wright !

Like Ste Wright likes this
0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 12, 2023

Hi @Tom Van Laerhoven

welcome to the community!

Just adding to the above: Another direction would be to try one of the more hierarchy-focused apps from the Atlassian Marketplace. These apps have their own, often more powerful ways of establishing and navigating through parent/child relationships. I can only speak for the app that my team is working - JXL for Jira - but in JXL, your use case should be easy to solve; in short,

• Create a JXL sheet that contains any issues you might potentially care about; e.g. using JQL statement like "project = X". Don't worry about parent/child relationships (JXL will sort that out for you), and further filtering (you can do that in JXL).
  • In your sheet, enable the default issue hierarchy. That's a one click operation.
  • In your sheet, filter down to the epics with the given Roadmap Quarter.

You should now see a (structured) view of all your relevant issues. This is how this looks in action:

epics-with-custom-field-value.gif

Once you've narrowed down your list of issues, you can work on these issue directly in JXL, trigger various operations in Jira, or export your issues for further processing.

As said above, there are several other apps that might help with this. You may already know that you can trial any app for free for 1 month (and depending on the size of your site, it may be free forever) - so if the above looks interesting, perhaps try a few and see which one works best for you.

Hope this helps,

Hannes

0 votes
mauricio.groth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2023

Hi @Tom Van Laerhoven

I’m Maurício, a support engineer at Digital Toucan and I’m here to help you.

Unfortunately, using JQL of Jira, you’ll not be able to do it.

In the app where my team works, JQL Search Extensions for Jira, you can use this query to find all issues that are children of an epic with a specific property.

issue in childrenOfEpicsInQuery("'Roadmap Quarter[Dropdown]' = '2023Q1'")

Please contact our support if you have any other questions about this query. 

We’ll be happy to help you!
Best regards,
Maurício

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events