Create Epic and Task

Dmitriy Zholudev
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 28, 2020

Hi Guys,

I have Project Key and Id
+
Board Id

1) now I need to create Epic under Board
+
2) Task under Epic
3) Task under Board

by api calls
need just bodies for all these calls

thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 29, 2020

Hello @Dmitriy Zholudev

Thank you for reaching out.

Allow me to get to each topic you want to achieve with the proper instructions using REST API:

1) now I need to create Epic under Board

In a Classic Jira Project, a board return issues based on a filter (Configured under Board settings > General), as described in this documentation. For Next-gen Projects, the board will automatically return all the issues in the project, as its filter cannot be edited:

Learn the differences between classic and next-gen projects 

To create an Epic and include it in a board, you just need to configure the Epic fields at the body of the call to be included in the board filter(for Classic projects) or in the project itself(for Next-gen projects).  

Check the call/link below to see a practical example on how to create an issue, setting its issue type ID for Epic in the body of the call:

POST yourdomain.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/issue 

2) Task under Epic

The steps to create a task under an Epic is basically the same as the ones to create the Epic. The only difference is that you must set the issue type ID for Task and fill the "Epic Link" field with Epic ID of the parent Epic in the body of the call.

3) Task under Board

Just as described in the first step, to include the task in a specific board you must configure the task fields to be included in the board filter (for Classic projects) or in the project itself(for Next-gen projects).

Let us know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events