Recognition

• Give kudos
  • My kudos

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Create Epic and Task

Hi Guys,

I have Project Key and Id
+
Board Id

1) now I need to create Epic under Board
+
2) Task under Epic
3) Task under Board

by api calls
need just bodies for all these calls

thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hello @Dmitriy Zholudev

Thank you for reaching out.

Allow me to get to each topic you want to achieve with the proper instructions using REST API:

1) now I need to create Epic under Board

In a Classic Jira Project, a board return issues based on a filter (Configured under Board settings > General), as described in this documentation. For Next-gen Projects, the board will automatically return all the issues in the project, as its filter cannot be edited:

Learn the differences between classic and next-gen projects 

To create an Epic and include it in a board, you just need to configure the Epic fields at the body of the call to be included in the board filter(for Classic projects) or in the project itself(for Next-gen projects).  

Check the call/link below to see a practical example on how to create an issue, setting its issue type ID for Epic in the body of the call:

POST yourdomain.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/issue 

2) Task under Epic

The steps to create a task under an Epic is basically the same as the ones to create the Epic. The only difference is that you must set the issue type ID for Task and fill the "Epic Link" field with Epic ID of the parent Epic in the body of the call.

3) Task under Board

Just as described in the first step, to include the task in a specific board you must configure the task fields to be included in the board filter (for Classic projects) or in the project itself(for Next-gen projects).

Let us know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

How to create Jira issus from Excel file?

When to use CSV importer When managing your processes in Jira, there are many occasions where you need to create a lot of tasks. Creating them one by one will cost you a lot of time and effort and i...

4,582 views 22 33
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you