Create Attachment Automation

James Duffy May 3, 2023

Is it possible to add an attachment with an Automation rule?

Previously on jira server we had custom fields that were able to display images in custom fields and display them in list views and on Kanban boards using html.

Since embedding HTML is a security issue (xss) on the cloud and the only way to try and display images in a List View is through an attachment, I would like to try and Automate this but it appears there is only a rule to delete an attachment not create it.

Are there any add-ons that support this? Or are there any issues I could vote on to increase visibility on this?

Even if a create attachment rule existed, or it was possible by another means to automate this, it still looks like thumbnails are not displayed in Kanban boards. Is this currently possible to do in Jira?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2023

Hello @James Duffy 

This issue indicates it is possible to display images on cards, but that it is problematic.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-76670

Note also that card layout changes can be made only for Company Managed agile boards, so this doesn't apply to Team Managed project boards.

As for adding image files automatically, using an Automation Rule you can copy Attachments from one issue to another.

Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 10.33.57 AM.png

You can also add an attachment via the REST API:

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-issue-attachments/#api-rest-api-3-issue-issueidorkey-attachments-post

And in an Automation Rule you can call the REST API with a Send Web Request action.

James Duffy May 4, 2023

That's useful to know, thanks for responding Trudy!

I actually ended up creating a chrome extension to do what i needed :) 

Like Trudy Claspill likes this
Joao Barros
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 16, 2023

Hi @James Duffy 

Can you share your extension?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders