Could not find driver with class name: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver

Sanjay Sharma August 13, 2018

Dear Support,

I was working on installing Jira software for an on-premise version and was doing it for mysql. I needed the respective jdbc driver for which I found the mysql connector (https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/j/5.0.html).

Apparently, I copied the "mysql-connector-java-8.0.12.jar" file into the lib folder of the Jira installation directory (C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\lib). The issue I face while testing the connection for the Database setup is "Could not find driver with class name: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver".

Could you please help me with which location and is it the correct driver I'm picking up for JIRA 7.11.2 and mysql 5.7.19

Regards,

Steve Fernandes

2 answers

2 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2018

Did you restart JIRA after copying the connector jar? If not, try that. If you already restarted, make sure the installation directory is correct.

Sanjay Sharma August 13, 2018

Thanks for replying so soon, Jobin!

I did a restart and it let me progress. Then, I ran into an issue "Cannot load connection class because of underlying exception, com.mysql.cj.exceptions.WrongArgumentException: Malformed database URL, failed to parse the connection string near '=InnoDB'"

This may have to do with the jdk that was not installed earlier. Even after that, the issue remained. So, as we were in the initial part of the Jira installation, we re-installed, and it worked for us.

Thanks for helping us tide over the first issue. Good day!

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2018

Glad it helped :)

1 vote
oswaldo zapata July 29, 2019

when installing drivers ensure to use the right for your database version, I installer for mysql 5.7 this one mysql-connector-java-8.0.17.tar.gz but then I was getting always the your database is not empty error, so then I followed the recomendatios  on https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/connecting-jira-applications-to-mysql-5-7-966063305.html 

section 2. Copy the MySQL JDBC driver   mysql-connector-java-5.1.47.zip

then my installation just worked perfect 

Suggest an answer