Could not find driver with class name: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver

David Stevens October 2, 2020

I've seen multiple posts with this question but all of the solutions haven't worked for me. I recently installed Jira Software for our Red Hat Enterprise Linux server (v 8.2) and the error "Could not find driver with class name: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver" continues to pop up when when connecting the database. I have placed the .jar file into /opt/atlassian/jira/lib/ but it cannot find the file. I have ran stop-jira.sh and start-jira.sh to restart the service but nothing.

Do I need to install a GUI environment onto our Linux server and access localhost:8080 that way or am I completely missing something?

2 answers

0 votes
David Stevens November 16, 2020

Ended up re-installing MySQL from the bottom up and it cleared things.

0 votes
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2020

Hi @David Stevens ,

If the message still appears, it seems that java can not find the jar.

So maybe you can double check, if it is there and if the user under which jira is running can read it (has the same permissions like the other files).

For this it is not important if you access Jira remote or from the local host. 

The .jar file does have the correct permissions for the user running Jira to read it.

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2020

If I recall correct, there where different versions of the driver available and there where multiple files in the driver archive. 

Did you choose the right one and copied the right file from the archive?

We have another server running Jira until we can migrate to the new one and I copied the exact .jar file that server is using for MySQL 5.7.

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2020

Hmm, ok, thats weird.

Then I'm getting out of ideas also.

David Stevens October 4, 2020

Hi, @Bastian Stehmann ,

So I don't know if you can help me with this part but I think I found the issue. This help article gave me a command to test if Jira is running and it is even after I ran stop-jira.sh. Do you know another way to restart Jira? I believe it never was actually restarted when I previously ran this file so Jira never restarted to find the driver.

David Stevens October 4, 2020

I killed the process and ran start-jira.sh to no avail. Maybe that wasn't the issue now.

Suggest an answer